Just deleted Foursquare. Come at me Facebook!

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
swarm_iphone_review_hero.jpg

App sprawl is becoming a thing. This evening I opened Foursquare to check into a great new local restaurant I went to, hit the big, honking check it button, and was told to download Swarm. It wasn't an ad. It wasn't something I could dismiss or get around and go on about my check it business. It was an eviction notice telling me my check-ins within the Foursquare app itself were no longer welcome. I'm sure it's been like that for a while. I almost exclusively use Foursquare when I travel and I haven't traveled since June. Rather than download Swarm, however, I deleted Foursquare. So, now that Facebook is evicting instant message, will that be next?

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Its because your not a power user. If you just use the app when you travel, it's not the same. I've been a power user of Foursquare since it first released. I didn't download Swarm until I was forced to but I had no problem doing it once I was required.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Its because your not a power user. If you just use the app when you travel, it's not the same. I've been a power user of Foursquare since it first released. I didn't download Swarm until I was forced to but I had no problem doing it once I was required.

I don't enjoy using Swarm at all. Very inconvenient having two apps that do virtually the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Phazenine

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, when I got the download swarm to check in notification I deleted my Foursquare account & the app. from my devices. It's an epic #fail on foursquare's part being a long time user of the app. Hopefully they get it together

PlaidHatter

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The new version of Foursquare that makes it work in tandem with Swarm is coming out next week. I'd recommend that you try it then. They won't do the same things then. I really hated the idea of the split at first, but their latest blog entry has me interested now.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The new version of Foursquare that makes it work in tandem with Swarm is coming out next week. I'd recommend that you try it then. They won't do the same things then. I really hated the idea of the split at first, but their latest blog entry has me interested now.

Don't they already work together..?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't enjoy using Swarm at all. Very inconvenient having two apps that do virtually the same thing.

Who said you need two apps? I only have swarm installed. Your making a bigger deal out of this than needed.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Who said you need two apps? I only have swarm installed. Your making a bigger deal out of this than needed.

I didn't mean to stir an attitude.. I use Foursquare for check ins, as well as checking out places (a yelp-esque feature). Swarm is for meeting up with friends and checking in to places, exclusively.

I like looking at tips, and reviews on restaurants when I make a trip to the city. I don't believe I'm making a big deal out of this, but maybe that's just me?

I'm glad you're enjoying Swarm though. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Not really.

Foursquare offered elements to a check in app that Swarm does not...including the competitive "mayorship" feature, "achievement" style trophies and a much more appealing UI (this being a pretty heavily opinionated reasoning). I used Foursquare for years...and then I was forced to use Swarm instead, and simply deleted Foursquare. I'm not using Swarm...it doesn't replicate Foursquare, it's a streamlined version of the previous app...with more focus on broadcasts and social planning.

I downloaded Swarm to look at it and deleted it within a couple of days. I feel they ruined a perfectly good app for no legitimate reason that I have been able to find online...and there's zero chance of me using two apps to gain the function I once had with one (and did so effortlessly for years).

Maybe I'm old fashioned...but this would be like having Comcast/Dish/AT&T switch to a box for programming and a totally different box you had to access to read descriptions on their programming guide. Makes no sense...

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Not really.

Foursquare offered elements to a check in app that Swarm does not...including the competitive "mayorship" feature, "achievement" style trophies and a much more appealing UI (this being a pretty heavily opinionated reasoning). I used Foursquare for years...and then I was forced to use Swarm instead, and simply deleted Foursquare. I'm not using Swarm...it doesn't replicate Foursquare, it's a streamlined version of the previous app...with more focus on broadcasts and social planning.

I downloaded Swarm to look at it and deleted it within a couple of days. I feel they ruined a perfectly good app for no legitimate reason that I have been able to find online...and there's zero chance of me using two apps to gain the function I once had with one (and did so effortlessly for years).

Maybe I'm old fashioned...but this would be like having Comcast/Dish/AT&T switch to a box for programming and a totally different box you had to access to read descriptions on their programming guide. Makes no sense...

I cannot agree with this post any more. I've been a loyal Foursquare user for around 2 years now, with around 4,000 check ins. Not only did I like using the app for it's improved Yelp-like features. But more than that, I loved the competitive edge put on check ins with Mayorships. It made the app fun for me to use.

Personally, none of my friends use Foursquare. So this whole idea for Swarm, making it easier to connect with friends is just a horrible choice in my eyes. I have deleted Swarm, and continue to use the Foursquare app to leave tips, and check nearby restaurants. But I'll never be able to use it, the way I once loved.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2