Apple being sued because someone forgot to turn off iMessage when they switched to Android

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

ios_7_imessage_fake_hero.jpg

A scorned ex-iPhone user is suing Apple over lost text messages that she is not able to receive after switching from an iOS device to a smartphone on another platform. Apple's iMessage service doesn't de-activate the iMessage service when a user switches to a non-Apple phone. In this case, messages do not get delivered and the service thinks that the message should be routed as an iMessage rather than a traditional SMS or MMS, meaning that switchers away from Apple would not receive messages from their iOS counterparts.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The problem is people forget to unregister their phone number with their Apple ID. If you are signed in to any other device to send and receive iMessages from your phone number that is attached to your Apple ID that info will stay on the other device until you sign out and back in. The problem gets worse for other people that send you iMessages cause their phone doesn't know you can't receive iMessages anymore cause of how Apple has iMessage setup. Apple has it setup in a way so if your phone or iOS device isn't connected to wifi or cellular data at the time the other person sends you an iMessage, you will get that message still when your iOS device connects back to the internet.
The only solution I found so far is when you get a new phone that is not an iPhone is to send a SMS message to those people with an iPhone once or twice (or three times if you want) that way the other persons iPhone knows not to send an iMessage to your new phone. The other solution (and I recommend this to anyone that has an iPhone) is to turn on "send as SMS" that way your iPhone will send the iMessage as a SMS/MMS message after X amount of minutes (usually 5-10 minutes). This is really helpful if you are in a low signal reception area or if your wifi has a problem.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Good point there, this absolutely has been blown out of proportion...

Sent from my RM-875_apac_sea_220 using Tapatalk

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The problem is people forget to unregister their phone number with their Apple ID. If you are signed in to any other device to send and receive iMessages from your phone number that is attached to your Apple ID that info will stay on the other device until you sign out and back in. The problem gets worse for other people that send you iMessages cause their phone doesn't know you can't receive iMessages anymore cause of how Apple has iMessage setup. Apple has it setup in a way so if your phone or iOS device isn't connected to wifi or cellular data at the time the other person sends you an iMessage, you will get that message still when your iOS device connects back to the internet.
The only solution I found so far is when you get a new phone that is not an iPhone is to send a SMS message to those people with an iPhone once or twice (or three times if you want) that way the other persons iPhone knows not to send an iMessage to your new phone. The other solution (and I recommend this to anyone that has an iPhone) is to turn on "send as SMS" that way your iPhone will send the iMessage as a SMS/MMS message after X amount of minutes (usually 5-10 minutes). This is really helpful if you are in a low signal reception area or if your wifi has a problem.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Good point there, this absolutely has been blown out of proportion...

Sent from my RM-875_apac_sea_220 using Tapatalk

I totally disagree. If you Google this there are pages upon pages and forums upon forums of people having problems with getting iMessage to deactivate. Even on the iMore homepage on the article there are comments of people talking about it. 'Deactivating' it does not shut it off.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't see this as blown out of proportion. Many experience this problem. One thing to remember is that most people DO NOT frequent iPhone forums. Most people do not see all the articles, posts and comments on this subject. So Apple needs a fix for this. I'm glad someone finally sued. Maybe they'll do something about it now.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't see this as blown out of proportion. Many experience this problem. One thing to remember is that most people DO NOT frequent iPhone forums. Most people do not see all the articles, posts and comments on this subject. So Apple needs a fix for this. I'm glad someone finally sued. Maybe they'll do something about it now.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Yeah, I was just about to say that maybe this will push them to fix this issue

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73