Tim Cook comments on iPhone 5c sales performance

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

iphone_5c_blue_gallery_photos_5.jpg

During today's Apple quarterly conference call, Tim Cook fielded a question asking about the public reception of the iPhone 5c, which has been somewhat muted. Cook said "Demand percentage turned out to be different than we thought."

Full story from the iMore Blog...

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Not surprising to me really. Did Apple really think the masses were going to want last year's tech in a plastic body instead of contemporary tech wrapped in precision-crafted metal...to save, what, $100? Nope not a lot of people want a muted device. If they had offered it in black they would have sold a lot more, that's for certain. Yet, a black 5c would have bitten into 5s sales.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not surprised that the 5c didn't sell better. When I think of iPhone, I'm expecting to get a premium device not plastic. Maybe that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, we sell A LOT of 5C's here at AT&T. I know that doesn't translate into global demand, but we do sell them consistently.

Because it is less expensive it is more accessible. ...and it's still a nice phone with good tech. It's just that it only really appeals to a certain market...not to those desiring the more premium device...IMO.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the 5c is a great phone drop the price 75 bucks and it will sell well

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I think the 5c is a great phone drop the price 75 bucks and it will sell well

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

It's an iPhone, so yes, it is a great phone, but as noted it's priced too close to the significantly more premium models. Lower the price and offer it in black or dark grey and it'll sell like hot cakes.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree! Great phone! Priced too high! Has little purpose for existence at that price point. So it just seems like a gimmicky strategy by Apple to do something different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geetarnub

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Agreed! I didnt think anyone would even buy 5C either, reason being if you bought any iphone before 5S/5C you already had the intention of paying $200 for its successors (contract only speaking of course). I just thought this whole new line of plastic was to compete with all the cheap androids in the market, except it shouldve been priced below $99 no doubt. And i havent thought of color until you guys mentioned it..haha because the majority of 5c's i saw were crazy neons: green and pink. even though marketing said blue was the most smartphone subtle color-like choice which made sense. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone 5S
Twitter.com/eprahhl
Eprahhl.vsco.co
Instagram.com/eprahhl

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Get it into range of competing with the Moto G and it'll sell like hotcakes. If I've got to buy on contract to make the phone affordable, I'm going to make sure to spend the money to get something I'll be happy with for 2 years.

I think the 5C would be more successful (and would find a market) if they could find a way to drop that $550 off contract price tag. I know that isn't really Apple's deal but what was the point of the 5C if they didn't want to try and get that market?

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is that the 5c was successful in that it likely pushed a lot of people to the 5s. At work we sell PCs, and we keep a cheap one on the shelf. We hope that we don't sell it. Our goal is that the low price point keeps customers interested, but that they also realize what they can get for a bit more cash. While Apple may have expected to sell more 5c's, it seems that the ratio of 5s:5c is much higher than they thought it would be. That's a good thing!

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I liked the concept for my daughter but even she didn't want it she preferred the 4s or 5,5s(I have ) she has my old 4s however I was going to get her the 5c and she said no. Weird looks like kids prefer what we do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I question the colors they chose for the 5c. A fire engine red would have been nice as would have been black. I think they could have traded those two for the pink and green and none too many would have complained.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner