Anyone REALLY still want a physical keyboard on their iPhone?

TonyHove

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind the option of the physical keyboard. I bet if BlackBerry made a typo-like keyboard for the iPhone I'm sure they would do a better job in the looks and ergonomics. That might sway a few more people

Sent from the iMore Forums App

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
No thank you…I'm good!! I use to like the physical keyboard on my BB until the h key stopped working. Never knew how much I used that key until I didn't have it anymore. The virtual keyboard is much better for me.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Physical keyboard may add to the things to go wrong list. With a virtual keyboard only the display or touch screen can faultier. I'm happy with either.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I miss the BlackBerry keyboard a lot! I'm wouldn't mind one on my iPhone. I hate atockrrext. :)

But I do like the large screen. So, it's a trade off.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Despite all our emotions and biased views.. the truth remains that people still REALLY want a physical keyboard. They could be in the minority but the fact remains that they exist. The Typo just proved it.

Posted via Mobile Nations App on my Z mfk'n 10!

How many 1 or 2?
I know how much you hate facts and prefer conjecture and bias. HOWEVER:
gasu7evu.jpg

It looks like blackberry is consistently loosing revenue year after year, which directly invalidates your presumption that people STILL REALLY want a physical keyboard.

WOW look at those revenues drop "like its hot."

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Haaaaaaaaaaallls no to the physical keyboard !! I didn't miss it one second from the moment my first iPhone was activated, the 4S, back in 2011 !! I was a bb user for close to 4-5yrs when I made the switch, & without blinking an eye I was accustomed to the virtual keyboard on the iPhone :)

Sent from my 🎀PINK-alicious iPad Air🎀

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I love physical keyboards but I'm content with the virtual keyboard on a phablet (or handwriting recognition). My fat gorilla hands are to big for a virtual keyboard on a smaller phone though. Typing on the iPod is an exercise in pain for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I end up hitting . instead of space quite frequently. Agree that larger phones like the Note 3 have more "room" so as to make fewer unintentional mistakes.

Keyboard Kultist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey! Where'd everybody go? It's 2015 already, so come on back!

I have two reasons I use a Blackberry Classic: First is that I teach college, and with the BB10 OS I can do everything most smartphones do, and I can write and edit ACCURATELY (Many of you probably need to look up that word.) student work as well as my own. With the great keyboard this can be accomplished moving on a train, a plane, riding in a cab/car, or while walking. No one on a glass tapboard can claim that, and I'm talking page after page after page, not a few garbled texts or mangled emails.

Second, I utilize more secure email services for my non-talk communications, never social media nor anything Google. I value my privacy more than most, apparently, and extend that same courtesy to each student or colleague. Therefore, I enjoy the Blackberry's unbeatable email capability, along with the most secure platform of any mass market phone. Of course, if the NSA notifies me otherwise I'll let y'all know. ;-)

But, if there was an equivalent keyboard for the iphone, which offered the same ease and device balance as well, I might have jumped ship with the 5s. Agreed, there's nothing like nice ScreenEstate (sic), up to a limit, so I'm starting to shop for a "play phone," and it could end up being a 5s anyway. My hands are too big for the little glass tapboards, so I might get the best landscape slide-out case I can find, even though I don't care for that format. Then I can always carry the BlackBerry when working and the iphone when not, and then return to this thread and say "Yes, and here's why, times two."

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey! Where'd everybody go? It's 2015 already, so come on back!

I have two reasons I use a Blackberry Classic: First is that I teach college, and with the BB10 OS I can do everything most smartphones do, and I can write and edit ACCURATELY (Many of you probably need to look up that word.) student work as well as my own. With the great keyboard this can be accomplished moving on a train, a plane, riding in a cab/car, or while walking. No one on a glass tapboard can claim that, and I'm talking page after page after page, not a few garbled texts or mangled emails.

Second, I utilize more secure email services for my non-talk communications, never social media nor anything Google. I value my privacy more than most, apparently, and extend that same courtesy to each student or colleague. Therefore, I enjoy the Blackberry's unbeatable email capability, along with the most secure platform of any mass market phone. Of course, if the NSA notifies me otherwise I'll let y'all know. ;-)

But, if there was an equivalent keyboard for the iphone, which offered the same ease and device balance as well, I might have jumped ship with the 5s. Agreed, there's nothing like nice ScreenEstate (sic), up to a limit, so I'm starting to shop for a "play phone," and it could end up being a 5s anyway. My hands are too big for the little glass tapboards, so I might get the best landscape slide-out case I can find, even though I don't care for that format. Then I can always carry the BlackBerry when working and the iphone when not, and then return to this thread and say "Yes, and here's why, times two."

I'm glad you enjoy using your Blackberry device...;)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
For me, having Swype is useful enough. However, when I do take off my acrylic nails, I tend to enjoy getting out my BB Curve or Style and using a keyboard.

As much as I enjoy and can function perfectly without a physical keyboard, I still like it from to time. I'm interested in the rumored BlackBerry slider. Then I'd be able to use the full touch screen keyboard or physical keyboard like the Torch. A torch with BB10. Pretty cool I think.

On that note, I'd never buy an iPhone/Android/Windows phone keyboard attachment.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

John chen? Is that you?
Unless you're on a BES and your recipient is also on BES, your phone offers zero security advantage over any others.

Keyboard Kultist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello all:

Just_Me_D: Thanks. Obviously you're a true gentleperson and a scholar (despite that weird avatar hat you must wear.) Yeah I like them for what they'll do, but BB's still enterprise focused and will never have much of a device audience again, so it seems. It'll always be a two phone world for me, probably.

S'srain: YOU HAVE A FUNCTIONAL STYLE TOO? Listen, you don't have to marry me, but would you consider getting fertility treatments to have quadruplets every year? We've gotta build up a bigger potential user base for a BB10 flip phone so they'll take us seriously in Waterloo, and they are say our children are the future!

Whew! Deep breaths...deep breaths...Is yours hooked up to a carrier? I don't want to use Sprint but I can't find any MVNO who will accept it, except Boost (retching sounds).

But the slider looks maybe even more out of balance than the i6 with a Typo2, doncha think? Hard to use, except for a few short replies is my guess, but maybe worth it for that.

Last, why no add-on pkb for you? And how big is your trust fund anyway, you with all these phones you use?

Mikeo007: I'm over six feet tall, so carry my BES server in my backpack that has a solar panel on the outside. There's wheely luggage for everybody else. Duh.

Like I said, it's 2015; where ya been? ;-))

Keyboard Kultist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Oooops! Didn't read the thread title close enough: "on their I phone." Sorry bout all the bb stuff, as I wasn't trying to intrude. But yes, all you women with little fingers and guys who don't mind bizarre typos/ottocorects, if I ever get an Apple phone I'll get some kind of pkb for it.

Now, if somebody will just show me the back door to this church I'll slip out quietly.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oooops! Didn't read the thread title close enough: "on their I phone." Sorry bout all the bb stuff, as I wasn't trying to intrude. But yes, all you women with little fingers and guys who don't mind bizarre typos/ottocorects, if I ever get an Apple phone I'll get some kind of pkb for it.

Now, if somebody will just show me the back door to this church I'll slip out quietly.

The back door = forums.crackberry.com....

I'm just messing with you, and we don't mind that your device of choice is a Blackberry. Heck, I used to be a Blackberry "fanboy" for real (7290 to the original Bold 9000). Anyway, enjoy the rest of your day...;)

Keyboard Kultist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Just_Me_D:

I thought I recognized your name. Seems over CB way we heard HRH Pope Chen was wanting to bring you back to the flock. No one is allowed to leave you know. I'll lend you my little Curve for when they knock on your door. Just say you were waiting for it to reboot and lost track of the time.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner