iMessage's read receipts don't really work anymore?

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Since early summer I'm experiencing some problems with iMessage: read receipts don't show up correctly (yes, I know that they have to be turned on in settings?). Sometimes they don't show up at all, sometimes (if I've sent more than one iMessage at a time) they show between messages despite the fact that all have been read.

There is a fix: type a letter, don't send it, just delete it again, then force-quit Messages.app and start it again ? now the read receipts are displayed properly.

But that's quite cumbersome. Does anybody know a permanent fix for this? Thanks in advance!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed an issue with that or heard anyone else mention it. I would first try Reset Network Settings.
Reset Network Settings Settings>General>Reset>Tap Reset Network Settings. You may need to enter your wifi passcode back in afterwards.
If it continues, then try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since early summer I'm experiencing some problems with iMessage: read receipts don't show up correctly (yes, I know that they have to be turned on in settings?). Sometimes they don't show up at all, sometimes (if I've sent more than one iMessage at a time) they show between messages despite the fact that all have been read.

There is a fix: type a letter, don't send it, just delete it again, then force-quit Messages.app and start it again ? now the read receipts are displayed properly.

But that's quite cumbersome. Does anybody know a permanent fix for this? Thanks in advance!

Either "reset all settings", "reset network settings" or restore the device and then set it up as new. My read receipts are displaying properly and have been on all of my iOS devices and therefore I've not experienced what you've described to this point in time.

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
OK, thank you very much for your help!
I'll try out your suggestions later today and will report back with the results?

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
None of that works – may it have something to do with the fact that I'm living in Germany? Maybe different servers for us in Europe? I really have no idea how any of that works…

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
None of that works ? may it have something to do with the fact that I'm living in Germany? Maybe different servers for us in Europe? I really have no idea how any of that works?

It's possible, but I doubt it. If you reset the network settings or restored your device without restoring from a backup then the problem should be resolved. If you restored the device from a backup, it's possible that you also restored the problem.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible it is just showing the receipt on the last message when a batch were all read within the same minute or two of each other?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR