Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By comiken205
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default How to activate an iPhone on Wi-Fi only for Facetime & iMessage

My wife and I are on different sides of the mobile phone fence. She is iOS (a 6S) and I am Android. This works out fine for both of us; I like Android, she has the ability to Facetime with her kids and grandkids. All good.

Now here is my problem. She will be going on a trip with her daughters in November, and we would like to Facetime each other while she is gone. I have a 4th gen iPod Touch which I have used in the past. But, its so small. Now I have access to an iPhone 6+ without a SIM. I have set it up for myself; Im logged in to my iCloud account and I use it around the house on Wi-Fi (especially as a reference when she has an iOS question). But, in Settings, iMessage and Facetime are both stuck at Waiting for activation. If I turn either off and then back on, then I get a message that An error occurred during activation. Try again.

Im thinking that I need to put the SIM card from my Android phone in the iPhone to get things working, but Im worried that something would/could mess up my SMS messages on my Android phone. So, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Default Re: How to activate an iPhone on Wi-Fi only for Facetime & iMessage

According to Apple, "If you're using an iPhone, you'll need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime."

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201422
    iMore Elite

How about just using Skype instead of Facetime? And just use your regular SMS on your phone instead of iMessage.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    According to Apple, "If you're using an iPhone, you'll need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime."

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201422
    Do what I did for my son. Activated the iOS device, activated Facetime and iMessage. The following day I reactivated his android. No issues so far.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    How about just using Skype instead of Facetime? And just use your regular SMS on your phone instead of iMessage.
    I have two reasons for not wanting to go the Skype route. The first is that she know Facetime and I don't want the task of teaching her a new app. Second, she might only have access to Wi-Fi at times, and while that would be fine for Skype, it wouldn't work for SMS. There are also the new offerings from Google (Allo & Duo), but once again she wouldn't want to learn a new way of doing things when Facetime/iMessages work just fine for her.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    Do what I did for my son. Activated the iOS device, activated Facetime and iMessage. The following day I reactivated his android. No issues so far.
    Is this as easy as swapping the SIM card, or is there more to worry about?
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by christian2001 View Post
    Is this as easy as swapping the SIM card, or is there more to worry about?
    Each of my phones had their own sim card. But I imagine swapping and then activating would do the trick.