Why do I get an error message when I try to use iMessage?

Joma1124

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
imessage problems

recently (may be because of new update 8.4) my imessage sneds photos then ages later I get the "message failed to deliver" also people I have been messaging says they are receiving from my email instead frm my number. I checked online and did EVERYTHING and NOTHING.....its still greyed out. I signed off all (imessage, facetime, icloud) did a network reset, NOTHING please help

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: imessage problems

Did this happen yesterday or just now?

Yesterday Apple had a site outage that effected a lot of cloud services including iMessage. It was not all customers but some. I was having weird messaging issues for most of the day.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm experiencing the same thing, but, in my regard, it started with Apple iCloud problems yesterday. I can only assume they are still experiencing issues. Then again, I've yet to reboot my iPhone and it's only happening occasionally. I'm running beta 2 of iOS 9, by the way.

Joma1124

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Did this happen yesterday or just now?

Yesterday Apple had a site outage that effected a lot of cloud services including iMessage. It was not all customers but some. I was having weird messaging issues for most of the day.

the message failed to deliver would happen very random about a month already, its happened all he time now since the update. my number was never greyed out in the "you can be reached by imessage at"

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

For the e-mail address issue:

Go to Settings - Messages - Send & Receive and SIGN OUT of your Apple ID at the top of that screen. Sign back in and then choose your send & receive addresses. You can uncheck the e-mail address if you don't want that to show up as an address for others.

Joma1124

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

For the e-mail address issue:

Go to Settings - Messages - Send & Receive and SIGN OUT of your Apple ID at the top of that screen. Sign back in and then choose your send & receive addresses. You can uncheck the e-mail address if you don't want that to show up as an address for others.

did that already. If I do that and take away the email, I cant send ANY imessages at all, all that happens is the red exclamation mark with "not delivered'

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

if I do that I cannot send any imessages at all

The number always looks greyed out. Mine does. That's so it can't be changed to a different number. It should work fine if you uncheck the email addresses. You would only need those if you were using an iPad.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

not at all

I'm assuming you're using an iPhone.

This is what seems to be the problem regarding your phone number not showing up. It's not registering for some reason. Best I could recommend is turning off Wifi so you're on a cellular connection, re-boot the phone and then go through the steps I described and see if the phone number shows up as an option. Remember to do this while NOT being connected to Wifi.

Joma1124

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

This is what seems to be the problem regarding your phone number not showing up. It's not registering for some reason. Best I could recommend is turning off Wifi so you're on a cellular connection, re-boot the phone and then go through the steps I described and see if the phone number shows up as an option. Remember to do this while NOT being connected to Wifi.

I will try that, thanks! hope that does the trick.....so annoyed by this.

Joma1124

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

that seemed to do the trick! cheers mate! thanks