Turn Off iMessage and restrict it from being turned on again?

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Easy question and I don't want to get into the reasoning (thanks for not asking).....

Easy to turn off iMessage in settings. But how do you keep someone from turning it back on on a specific device?

I tried turning on restrictions and then saying "don't allow changes" to accounts.

But that doesn't seem to work the way I thought it would.

I don't really want to disassociate the device totally from the appleID as then you lose the ability to track with Find my iPhone.

Any thoughts on how to do this one specific thing?

Last edited:

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Turn Off iMessage and restrict it from being turned on again

Thanks Karen. You would think it would. Perhaps there's some other thing that has to happen too?

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Turn Off iMessage and restrict it from being turned on again

All, it does work. I wasn't getting the popup I thought I would get. But instead of seeing "new imessage" (when creating) it would say new message. And if I go into a thread that was previously imessages, the send button is now green for SMS.

Karen i appreciate your asking, but I really need to be vague to respect some privacy here. But what I have found between my last post and this one is that turning off imessage to me totally is not truly meeting the entire need I am looking for. What is more likely to meet that need is to apply a restriction in settings to the camera, which is very doable. I also found that once set, ANY app that would normally have an option to "take a pic" will either no longer have that option or it won't physically do anything.

This helps prevent outgoing photos via non-SMS means.

So, additionally, where turning off imessage will now help is that it will force any messaging to go in/out via SMS. And once I do that, I can then log onto My Verizon, and block all picture messaging.

So, i guess yes, imessage will be part of layered controls.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73