Question regarding SMS & iMessage

Cheryl Wilson123

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I have Iphone 5 and iPad and I use iMessage, I noticed on my phone bill that the texts that are sent through iMessage, do not get logged anymore on my text usage, I contacted AT &T and she said if you are using iMessage, they don't come off your plan, they use DATA and that is ok if you have unlimited date as I do, but most don't, I turned off iMessage and then could not text to certain people, has anyone ran into this or seen their data usage go UP. Why bother to pay for unlimited texting in this case?? Help:concern:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
re: Question regarding SMS & iMessage

You can text them by holding down the message and selecting "Send as text message." Also, go into settings-messages-and toggle on "Send as SMS."

Really no reason to turn off iMessage especially if you have unlimited data. If most people you text are on iMessage then there isn't much of a need for unlimited texting.

chris_26

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
re: Question regarding SMS & iMessage

I have Iphone 5 and iPad and I use iMessage, I noticed on my phone bill that the texts that are sent through iMessage, do not get logged anymore on my text usage, I contacted AT &T and she said if you are using iMessage, they don't come off your plan, they use DATA and that is ok if you have unlimited date as I do, but most don't, I turned off iMessage and then could not text to certain people, has anyone ran into this or seen their data usage go UP. Why bother to pay for unlimited texting in this case?? Help:concern:

Make sure the option "send as SMS" is green.. You can access it by going to Settings > Messages > Scroll down until you see it.. That will automatically send an imessage as a text message if it can't go through.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Cheryl

It appears my fellow members covered your question very well so I hope you continue to enjoy our site and post often