iMessage to a non iphone

Lynn Ash

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Please can someone help me?

My friend had an iPhone and broke it, she is now using a normal phone. I have an iPhone and for some reason I now cannot text her because it keeps wanting to send as an iMessage.

I have been in settings/messages and highlighted the button that says send as SMS if iMessage unavailable and I am now totally stumped. I have checked my update and its up to date ios7.2.

Is there anyone out there than could help please? I am not very technical so the easiest explanation possible would be great.

Thanks in advance

Lynn Ash

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In your phone's contact list, is the friend's number listed as "iPhone"? If so - change that label to mobile via editing the contact, and tapping the label in front of the number.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Write her information on a piece of paper. Afterwards, delete her contact information from your device, restart the device and then create a new contact for her using the information you wrote down. If you have her number listed beside "iPhone" change it. Hopefully this will work for you.

Lynn Ash

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Justme'D

I deleted the contact (it wasn't listed as iPhone in the contacts), I have created a new one then as soon as i go to message her, the name is in blue again and says iMessage - its driving me mad!

Thx

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Justme'D

I deleted the contact (it wasn't listed as iPhone in the contacts), I have created a new one then as soon as i go to message her, the name is in blue again and says iMessage - its driving me mad!

Thx

Does that person use any other Apple device to text you with like an iPad or a MacBook? If so, that could be the issue. In the meantime, a temporary fix would be to go ahead and text the person as an iMessage, but after sending, tap and hold the sent message, until it asks if you want to send it as an ams message. Make sure to go to Settings>Messages and make sure that "Send as SMS" is enabled beforehand.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok thx I will give it a try when I have finished cooking dinner - may have to continue this later or tomorrow

I have run into this problem a couple of times when texting someone who HAD an iphone and switched to a non-iOS device. This is how I went about it:

When you sent the text (and it tries to go through as an iMessage), long press (press and hold) on the blue text bubble. A little options box will pop up...press "more", and then select "send as SMS". The message will then turn green and resend.

You may have to do this a couple of times with each message sent, but after a few the phone will automatically start sending them as a regular SMS (green bubble). At least, this has worked for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let your friend go into here

https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do

sign in with her the user she used on her last iphone and then Click on “edit products” and then Click on the “x” to the right of the product and then
Click “unregister”

let me know if worked out for her :)

Ammar

Hi Ammar.

Unless I'm missing something, things have changed in reference to the Support Profile. After logging in, there is no "Edit Profile" option, but there is an "Edit" option. There is also no listing of "devices". When you select the "edit" option, there is no "X" to select or any devices to remove or delete or "unregister". Check out the 2 screenshots.

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 12.13.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 12.14.24 PM.png

Aimar_69

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Here you go check the screen shot

7c675e552a90a9e.png

4e92a451d2c70de.jpg

Attachments

• 7c675e552a90a9e.png
    7c675e552a90a9e.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 4e92a451d2c70de.jpg
    4e92a451d2c70de.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 8

Aimar_69

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh and D

it seems like you have no Apple devices registered with this ID !!
in this case i think you should be fine by just switching off the iMessege and Facetime from setting before swiping the device and moving the sim card a non apple product

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2