Question about three dots during texting

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
With the 3 dots, I've noticed distance matters. My wife in the next room will text me and it immediately comes in after the dots. But when my sister, who's 200 miles away sends a text, it takes longer. If no message comes after seeing dots, it means they changed their mind or something. If 1 character is tapped, the dots will appear.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

debby alicen

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
it means what you said your text to this person was stupid( no offense).:yes::rotfl::):D;):biggrin::p:kiss::tongue::cool::laughing::rolleyes::straight-face::beer::raised-eyebrow::angel::(:confused::no::lips-sealed::cant-watch::waiting::call-me::broken-heart::thinking::huh::talk-hand::heart::concern::gold-star::redface::smile::eyelashes::mad::sick::devil::party::sarcastic::eek:n-phone::nerd::crying::not-interested::love-struck:

debby alicen

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
it means what you said your text to this person was stupid( no offense).:yes::rotfl::):D;):biggrin::p:kiss::tongue::cool::laughing::rolleyes::straight-face::beer::raised-eyebrow::angel::(:confused::no::lips-sealed::cant-watch::waiting::call-me::broken-heart::thinking::huh::talk-hand::heart::concern::gold-star::redface::smile::eyelashes::mad::sick::devil::party::sarcastic::eek:n-phone::nerd::crying::not-interested::love-struck:
#takeninbytheitalian

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was wrong in my previous comment. The 3 dots is called an ellipsis.
The iMessage ellipsis begins when the first character is typed. If the sender stops typing but does not back up to delete the showing characters, the ellipsis will continue for 60 seconds. Then it stops and there is no message. If we are messaging, and I type one character, then close my messages app and go to Facebook, you would be left watching the ellipsis for 60 seconds or until it stops. Then you would wait a moment more for a message to appear. But it would not. If I were to type a word, then back up to where no character shows, then the ellipsis stops. And again, there's no message. As to what the sender is doing is a guess. They may start a message, then stop and move on to something else. They may accidentally hit a letter, then close the app, leaving you watching the ellipsis for 60 seconds. The ellipsis is not an indication that a message is incoming. It just means at least1 character was typed.
It's not an iOS 8 bug. It's been going on since the iMessage ellipsis was first implemented.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Last edited:

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Three dots only occur when the person is actively typing in your message window. It also isn't a bug, it's a purposeful implementation, same as BBM or whatsapp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Three dots only occur when the person is actively typing in your message window. It also isn't a bug, it's a purposeful implementation, same as BBM or whatsapp.

Not exactly. Read my post above. One could just type 1 character, then decide to exit the messages app and move on. But the ellipsis (the dots) will continue for 60 seconds, leading you to think they are still typing. Then no message shows.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Not exactly. Read my post above. One could just type 1 character, then decide to exit the messages app and move on. But the ellipsis (the dots) will continue for 60 seconds, leading you to think they are still typing. Then no message shows.

Yes, exactly. That's exactly how other protocols implement it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, exactly. That's exactly how other protocols implement it.

Send someone a message and just type 1 character and leave it there and exit the messages app. The other person will see the ellipsis for 60 seconds, even though you are not typing.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Send someone a message and just type 1 character and leave it there and exit the messages app. The other person will see the ellipsis for 60 seconds, even though you are not typing.

Used to happen in BBM, & happens in whatsapp, don't know of the time elapsed tho.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

In my experience, you don't even need to type a character. Just tap in the response box so the cursor is positioned there, and the other person will see the ellipsis for 60 seconds, as you said.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In my experience, you don't even need to type a character. Just tap in the response box so the cursor is positioned there, and the other person will see the ellipsis for 60 seconds, as you said.

Yeah, I kept seeing the ellipsis going on text messages with my cuz who does not show read receipts. I'd watch it, then no text. So I started testing it with mine and my Wife's phone.

Zima321

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
What does it mean if the three dots appear as if the other person is typing, but that person is no longer Active? The three dots keep on going for a while and no message ever appears, but the person has already been inactive for 1, 2, 3, etc. minutes ago.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What does it mean if the three dots appear as if the other person is typing, but that person is no longer Active? The three dots keep on going for a while and no message ever appears, but the person has already been inactive for 1, 2, 3, etc. minutes ago.

I explained it in post #24 . Scroll up and read it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox