Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Karenkcoulter
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Default How can I get Siri to send SMS not iMessages when a friend has a non-iPhone?

I've tried having Siri text different numbers that only have a phone number as mobile not iPhone, but Siri still sends them as iMessages. Is this by a "feature" to get me to bug my friends into getting iOS devices, or am I missing something?

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: How can I get Siri to send SMS not iMessages when a friend has a non-iPhone?

If the people you are texting are using i-devices and have iMessage enabled on those device then yes, those messages will indeed be sent as iMessages. However, if the people you are texting DO NOT HAVE i-devices or DO NOT HAVE iMessage enabled then those messages will be sent as SMS messages. Just know that if the messages are BLUE then they are iMessages. If they are GREEN, they are not iMessages.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Default Re: How can I get Siri to send SMS not iMessages when a friend has a non-iPhone?

I know that, what I mean is Siri sends as an iMessage to my non-iPhone friends. Checking "Contacts", they're there as mobile, not iPhone. But Siri still sends as iMessage, then I get the exclamation mark notification on Messages.

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob1016 View Post
    I know that, what I mean is Siri sends as an iMessage to my non-iPhone friends. Checking "Contacts", they're there as mobile, not iPhone. But Siri still sends as iMessage, then I get the exclamation mark notification on Messages.
    I don't know what to tell you. After reading your latest reply, I grabbed my iPhone 4S, and used SIRI to send my oldest son who has an Android device a text message stating, "Good morning", and it worked without a hitch. I'm sure you have already, but go to Settings-Messages and then scroll down and verify that "Send as SMS' is turned ON. Do the same for "MMS Messaging", if applicable. Also, try signing out and then signing back in to iMessage.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default How can I get Siri to send SMS not iMessages when a friend has a non-iPhone?

Also Messages regardless of whether Siri sends them or you do it manually doesn't care what you have the contact's phone number tagged as in your Address Book. Apple maintains some sort if database to tell Messages whether to use an iMessage or SMS.

Like any data it can sometimes be wrong especially if someone used to have an iOS device and switched their phone number to Android without turning iMessages off.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I don't know what to tell you. After reading your latest reply, I grabbed my iPhone 4S, and used SIRI to send my oldest son who has an Android device a text message stating, "Good morning", and it worked without a hitch. I'm sure you have already, but go to Settings-Messages and then scroll down and verify that "Send as SMS' is turned ON. Do the same for "MMS Messaging", if applicable. Also, try signing out and then signing back in to iMessage.
    Didn't mean to come off badly. I feel stupid, forgot to turn send as SMS back on after going to iOS 6.1.2 (did setup as new).

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob1016 View Post
    Didn't mean to come off badly. I feel stupid, forgot to turn send as SMS back on after going to iOS 6.1.2 (did setup as new).
    Aw don't worry about it, my friend. It happens......I'm just glad you figured it out. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Also Messages regardless of whether Siri sends them or you do it manually doesn't care what you have the contact's phone number tagged as in your Address Book. Apple maintains some sort if database to tell Messages whether to use an iMessage or SMS.

Like any data it can sometimes be wrong especially if someone used to have an iOS device and switched their phone number to Android without turning iMessages off.
    Just what i was about to say. I had exactly this issue with my good lady wife. The number used to be on an iPhone 4 but hers got completely smashed so she now uses my old Galaxy S2 and this issue persisted for a while before inexplicably stopping one day for no appreciable reason.