Using Mac (OS X 10.6.8) connection to send iMessages through iPhone?

LeinieWR

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My Mac at work has OS X 10.6.8), my cell signal is minimal to non-existent, and I don't have a Wi-Fi signal. Is there any possible way to connect my iPhone and somehow use the Internet connection to send iMessages through the iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just thought the iPhone needed a way to connect to the Internet, not that the computer itself needed Messages?

No. You asked:
... Is there any possible way to connect my iPhone and somehow use the Internet connection to send iMessages through the iPhone?

To connect your computer to your iPhone can be done utilizing a hotspot feature, however, iMessages must be installed on your computer in order to send iMessages from your computer and the OS version you currently have,unless I'm mistaken, does not have the iMessage feature. If, on the other hand, you were talking about sending an iMessage via your iPhone then yes, if iMessage is enabled and you are signed in to it AND if you have a data connection, whether Wi-Fi or cellular. You cannot send or receive data without a data connection.

LeinieWR

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, iMessage is enabled on my iPhone, and my question was supposed to be, can I use the Internet connection (through the computer) as the data connection, since I have a poor cellular signal, and am getting no Wi-Fi connection. I guess the answer is still "no". Thanks for your help!

DJHalle

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to push internet connection from the computer itself to the iPhone, only the other way around...

This is not correct.

Mac OS X does have an internet sharing feature where it can share it's connection over WiFi. I use it all the time at my friends house. I have 10.7 (Lion) still and the setting is in my preferences app, so I don't see why they wouldn't include this feature in 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Go to Preferences > Sharing > Make sure "Internet Sharing" is checked, and "Share the connection from: Wifi." This should allow the OP to connect their iPhone to their computer's already existing internet connection. They will be able to send iMessages to people with iDevices, but not any SMS unless there is a cellular connection. I hope this helps you out.

Edit: Just realized the OP stated they have 10.6.8, I read it as 10.8.6. Sorry! Try looking for this same settings pane in Preferences.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711