iMessage, all or nothing, right?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Just to confirm, iMessage is a little like text messages in the fact that once it is 'on', it is 'on', right?

Currently I'm now testing iMessage again (didn't want to get hooked to one form of communication in case I switched devices), and there are some people I DON'T want to iMessage with, only text, hence ignore them if I choose.

This is not really an option with iMessage, is it? I know I can turn off the 'read receipt', but one can't turn off the 'delivery' notification, correct?

A shame really :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ya it's on unless you turn it off
It's like text messages but it uses data not your your providers network

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You can at least set it so that any new conversations you start use your email address. Not the same but it's something. (Settings>Messages)

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

Curious, if I have iMessage on and the default is my email address, and someone sends a message to my mobile number is would come through as an iMessage, no?

Thanks

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
If iMessage is on and the other person also has iMessage on, but you want to send an SMS anyway, hold down the blue Send button and you will get a choice or sending an SMS.

Also you can go into settings for iMessages and set what your caller ID is for iMessages and change it from your phone number to an email address.

Karen out of curiosity I tried this and could not get it to work as you described. I held down the blue send button and no option came up.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I guess since I have 'read receipts' off, I might leave iMessage on. Just because someone sends me a message and it shows 'delivered', doesn't mean I ever read it :)

Some users at work have my mobile number (I work in I.T.) and thus take advantage of easy access to I.T. Hence my questions, etc...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You're right. It's not working for me either. I'd never tried it myself, but someone posted on these forums in the past week that it worked for them. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here's the link to the post I was talking about

Thanks that a cool trick. Worked!! Thanks so much!! still turns blue but at least I now know how to change it over to a text. Wonder how long till it catches on that my wife has a droid not an iphone?

woohoo sent three texts that way and now its staying green!!! You are the best tech support a guy could have!!!!!

If it still thinks your wife's is a iphone and still comes up as imessage there is a link on the forum that you can unregister her number and it will solve the issue

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah but you will always need your mobile number as an option, as you can't exchange messages with people that don't have Macs with Mountain Lion or iOS 5 or above devices, without a SMS number.