IMessage

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Loving my Iphone5!

Just a question for everyone. Seems my phone is slow from switching from sms to imessage. When I go to message a contact it remains green (sms) until the contact sends me a message back, which will be a imessage.

Anyone know what is going on with this?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying it is switching within the same contact's text message between text and iMessage?

Understand that iMessage is only used when both sides are connected to it...if one side has their phone off, or iMessage turned off, or they are out of a decent reception area...they will revert back to normal texts...and it would look the same on their end of they had iMessage open but you were experiencing one of those things.

As far as time goes, it shouldn't be a substantial lag...but there is a sort of buffer between the two. My brother is a psychologist at a local university and on his campus, he gets pretty spotty reception...part of the day our messages are iMessage, parts of it are text...and there is a bit of lag, but nothing that would cause me to REALLY notice, I've only noticed significant delays when one party has zero reception, or is in a WiFi area where the network is up but the internet modem is not sending a signal.

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
It only happens on the initial first text. And the other party is connected and in a good reception area. Ive experimented with my parents 4S and my 5. My phone is connected to wifi currently and has good reception.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried resetting your network settings? It may jolt it back into sync, because honestly, i have no idea why it would be sporadically switching between the two unless you were in an area that experienced inconsistent connection issues.

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It only happens on the initial first text. And the other party is connected and in a good reception area. Ive experimented with my parents 4S and my 5. My phone is connected to wifi currently and has good reception.

You're probably just not letting the service recognize the recipient. It takes a second or two to connect after a decent break in conversation (read: typically more than an hour or so, but I've seen it happen at less). Short messages that you're very used to typing like "hey" "what's up" etc become almost muscle memory and very quick to type. Try giving it a second when you're typing it out and you should be able to watch the button switch from green to blue.

Unrelated note, is this an issue? Texts are unlimited on most plans now, so unless you're trying to message a different iDevice, I don't see it as much more than an oddity?

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
JeevesVic, this happens to me sometimes when I send a text to a new contact (new meaning someone I have not sent an iMessage to yet on my phone). Either their first message to me or my first outgoing message goes as text, but then will immediately switch to iMessage for subsequent messages.. Doesn't always happens when a send a text to a new person, but every so often.

As for switching back to text, like SeanHRCC said that seems odd for it to do that, unless it is the scenarios he posted above about both parties needing an active internet connection for iMessage to work vs using text. That used to happen to me too every now and then.

In Settings, Messages, I set the option "Send as SMS" to OFF. You may want to try that to see if iMessage is preferred more in your case. I have it off because I iMessage a few international friends and don't want my phone to send a message as text sporadically or when the other party doesn't have internet. Otherwise I will get charged for an international text!

The downside of leaving this option off is that if you need to send a message to someone urgently and they don't have internet, or don't have at&t and are on a call with no wi-fi connected, your message will not deliver to them until they hang up and get their internet connection back up, because it is forcing the use of iMessage. In a case like that, you can tell the message didn't get to their phone since iMessage won't say "Delivered" almost immediately like it usually does. If you need to switch that message back to text, you can touch and hold the message and an option will appear to "send as text". Your phone will resume iMessage whenever possible. Same will happen if you are on a phone call and try send a message to someone (if you have verizon, sprint, t-mobile and are not on wi-fi). Your phone will force the use of iMessage and will not send out the message until you hang out.

This is a rare case I would assume, but good to know in case you turn that option off.

Not trying to get too off-topic, but wanted to list another scenario when you want to definitely turn "Send as SMS" off. When you travel internationally with friends and are in airplane mode with wi-fi on, like at a hotel, etc. We used iMessage to communicate to each other since wi-fi was free at the hotel, but reception was spotty in the rooms. If that option is ON in this case, your phone may try to send as text instead, which won't work of course since you are in Airplane mode. Basically you won't be able to send the message until they get an active connection.
With the "Send as SMS" option turned OFF, you phone will force iMessage. So the recipient will eventually get the message even if they aren't connected to wi-fi, are in a weak, spotty area of the hotel, etc.

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
JeevesVic, this happens to me sometimes when I send a text to a new contact (new meaning someone I have not sent an iMessage to yet on my phone). Either their first message to me or my first outgoing message goes as text, but then will immediately switch to iMessage for subsequent messages.. Doesn't always happens when a send a text to a new person, but every so often.

This is exactly whats happening. If tried pretty much everything, turning everything off, resets...etc

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I actually think it works by design. What if someone has a number blocked from even messaging them?
Instead of allowing them the opportunity to immediately start an iMessage chat, they won't even be able to
fire off the first message in order establish an iMessage connection.

I've found that if I'm in an iMessage coversation and we each delete the thread, after about a half hour or so
when someone starts a conversation, we stay in SMS mode and it won't even turn into iMessage. I then go
to my iPad and start an iMessage convo so it'll make and sync to my phone. This happens with only one of
my contacts who uses an iPhone 5. She is the only person I have this problem with. She got her iPhone 5 on
September 21st and created her Apple ID the same day. I clarified everything in her settings on and on since then. It still remains a problem with the iPad solution that I mentioned.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

This happens to me once in a while with my wife, it seems like the iPhone takes a while to recognize the other iphone as being on imessage, sometimes it takes a few minutes, but it's not a big deal to me since It rarely happens and I have a plan with 200 text messages

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2