Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Help me set up my family's iMessage

My family of 5 has many apple devices. We have 4 iPhones, 1 iPad, 1 mac and 1 iPod. We all share the itunes account and iCloud. As things have updated and my kids have become more active using messaging, our messaging system has really become messed up! Right now when we text each other, the messaging goes to everyone! When I send a text to my husband, it doesn't show that he receives it but it looks like he was the one that sent it. How do I change everyones settings so that this doesn't happen? Everywhere I look this up at, all I see is "How to link all your systems". I don't want all the devices linked! I know this sounds like a stupid question but being a very busy mom, I can't keep up with the changes in technology! Please help!
    iMore Elite

2,654 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,865 Global Posts

Default Help me set up my family's iMessage

Each device should have individual send and receive settings for iMessage, then it will work the way you would like.
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

Default Re: Help me set up my family's iMessage

Have everyone set up a separate iCloud account - no reason to share that, it can only create the kind of problems you've described.

Make sure in iMessage settings that each person has a different email address and/or phone number attached.