iMessage Sync

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Peps,

If I'm having a conversation over iMessage on my iPhone, then I switch over to the iPad. All the conversation that I was having on the iPhone isn't there on the iPad. But what is said in conversation on the iPad shows on my iPhone. It's not perfectly synced.

Any ideas or is this the way it is?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On your iPhone, is your phone number checked in Settings/Messages/Received At/Caller ID? If so and if you have a Wi-Fi Only iPad then you may need to place a checkmark next to your Apple ID/Email address instead of your phone number to get them both to be in sync. The reason both get synced when using the iPad is probably because your Apple ID/Email address is listed on both devices. This means that if someone composes an iMessage to JohnDoe@whatever.com, both devices will get the message and any replies will also be synced on both devices, however, if someone composes an iMessage using just your phone number then only your iPhone will get it unless that number is listed among the "received at" section of your iPad's message settings. I hope I'm making since to you. ;) Have a safe & pleasant Labor Day holiday, by the way.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Sort of. Lol.

Does it mean there is a problem at the iPad end then?

On my phone I have it receiving at my phone number and my apple ID, plus a me.com email.

Thanks by the way.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sort of. Lol.

Does it mean there is a problem at the iPad end then?

On my phone I have it receiving at my phone number and my apple ID, plus a me.com email.

Thanks by the way.

No. Just make sure that the items you mentioned are also configured in the Messages settings on your iPad. If it is Wi-Fi Only and then change your iPhone's primary "received at" item to match that of the iPad's.

iPhone. iPad
---------- -------
505-555-5555. N/A
JohnD@me.com? JohnD@me.com?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1982ollie

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, I see what you mean. I will check my iPad when I get home.

Thanks again bud.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
No. Just make sure that the items you mentioned are also configured in the Messages settings on your iPad. If it is Wi-Fi Only and then change your iPhone's primary "received at" item to match that of the iPad's.

iPhone. iPad
---------- -------
505-555-5555. N/A
JohnD@me.com? JohnD@me.com?

Hi again JustMe'D,

I'm still having a problem.

Ok, let's say I don't use my iPad for a few days. I have iMessage conversations on my phone. The open conversations don't sync on the iPad. But vise a versa it will. If I have a conversation on the iPad. It's there on the iPhone. But, there is one conversation on my phone that did update on my iPad. I'm trying to figure this out. I have more than one email address registered on my phone. Do you think that could be causing the problem. I'm going to try removing them to see if it makes a difference.

Any ideas would be great buddy. Thanks again for your help on this one.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi again JustMe'D,

I'm still having a problem.

Ok, let's say I don't use my iPad for a few days. I have iMessage conversations on my phone. The open conversations don't sync on the iPad. But vise a versa it will. If I have a conversation on the iPad. It's there on the iPhone. But, there is one conversation on my phone that did update on my iPad. I'm trying to figure this out. I have more than one email address registered on my phone. Do you think that could be causing the problem. I'm going to try removing them to see if it makes a difference.

Any ideas would be great buddy. Thanks again for your help on this one.

Being that a conversation via your iPhone did show up on your iPad, the problem may not lie with your configuration, but may lie with Apple. iMessages syncing isn't the best. I have iMessages setup on three devices: iPhone 4S, iPad 2 & MacBook. If I type a message on any of the three, the messages will indeed sync to the other devices, however, there are "rare" occasions where a section of the conversation might be missing on the iPad, but it is rare. Have you tried logging out and then logging back in to iMessage via your iPad? As for various email addresses being configured on your device, no, that shouldn't cause a problem. What matters is the email address used for ID purposes for iMessage.

Reactions: 1982ollie

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Being that a conversation via your iPhone did show up on your iPad, the problem may not lie with your configuration, but may lie with Apple. iMessages syncing isn't the best. I have iMessages setup on three devices: iPhone 4S, iPad 2 & MacBook. If I type a message on any of the three, the messages will indeed sync to the other devices, however, there are "rare" occasions where a section of the conversation might be missing on the iPad, but it is rare. Have you tried logging out and then logging back in to iMessage via your iPad? As for various email addresses being configured on your device, no, that shouldn't cause a problem. What matters is the email address used for ID purposes for iMessage.

This is what I thought. I'll try logging in and out. Thanks again for you help on this. It is strange, something is causing to get the hump in places.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're very welcome and whatever it is, hopefully, it will be ironed out with the upcoming iOS 6 update.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2