Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Default What to do with iMessage on VZW iP4 prior to selling phone?

I've read the issues of people selling their iPhone and their iMessages start going to the new user when people send them a text... even though the new owner has a different phone number. From what I understand iMessage registers to the SIM. However, I don't believe VZW iP4 has a SIM, correct? So, is this a non-issue or are there other potential problems with iMessage that warrant planning in advance to avoid this problem? Thanks for any feedback!
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have personally encountered that issue but it was resolved very easily. I have my iMessage assigned with my phone number not my email. So one day I installed my sim card on my friends phone and that phone assigned my number to the iMessage, then I put back my sim card on to my actual phone. I started receiving iMessages on my regular phone and also on my friends phone. While this was happening my friends phone did not have any sim card after mines was taken out. I checked the phone and on the iMessage settings on both phones it kept my number under the assigned section. I was a bit worried at first but my friend inserted his sim on his phone, after that his phone got assigned and mines stopped sending messages to both phones and only on the phone that had my sim. I am not sure if this issue gets resolved when you have your phone assigned to it instead of an email. I might be wrong but it worked for me

Global Posts
    1,713 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Clear the data...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Wipe the data and remove your SIM prior to selling.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
     iPhone 5S Space Gray (16GB) iPad Mini White (16GB) 
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,371 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    I've read the issues of people selling their iPhone and their iMessages start going to the new user when people send them a text... even though the new owner has a different phone number. From what I understand iMessage registers to the SIM. However, I don't believe VZW iP4 has a SIM, correct? So, is this a non-issue or are there other potential problems with iMessage that warrant planning in advance to avoid this problem? Thanks for any feedback!
    1. Remove the SIM.
    2. Restore as new.
    3. Do not activate once it's finished.
    4. Profit.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Would it be wise to turn off iMessage (flip that switch in settings) on the device prior to wiping, etc.? I would think it might clear whatever connection that particular device had to an iMessage account. Just my thought.
    --
    applejosh
    Present: iPhone5 32GB AT&T, iPad Air 64GB Verizon, early 2011 MBP
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    1. Remove the SIM.
    2. Restore as new.
    3. Do not activate once it's finished.
    4. Profit.
    How does the new owner activate the phone if there is no SIM? If I'm upgrading to a 4S, I can just put my existing iP4 SIM in the 4S and good to go?
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    Would it be wise to turn off iMessage (flip that switch in settings) on the device prior to wiping, etc.? I would think it might clear whatever connection that particular device had to an iMessage account. Just my thought.
    I'm wondering about this as well. I thought I read somewhere that turning off iMessage broke the connection that causes the problem. Any feedback?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    How does the new owner activate the phone if there is no SIM? If I'm upgrading to a 4S, I can just put my existing iP4 SIM in the 4S and good to go?
    If it is a VZW iPhone you don't need the sim. It's only used for international travel with VZW.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
     iPhone 5S Space Gray (16GB) iPad Mini White (16GB) 
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Yes, you want to "flip the switch" first. I played around with a Galaxy Nexus a few weeks back. Didn't flip the switch before i activated the android and anyone with an iPhones messages wouldn't come through. The senders iPhone was stuck thinking I had iMessage. After going back and reactivating my iPhone and flipping the switch it all worked fine with the Droid. However the droid didn't last. Only took 3 day to go back to my 4S. Lesson learned.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

General => Reset => Reset And Clear All Data

Remove your SIMM card.

Pretty much what @Sting7k said!

I have done this with all the phones I have sold and never had any probs.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.