iMessage not syncing between iPhone and iPad

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Okay, I have tried searching the web for a fix, but everything I have tried hasn't work.

I can't get iMessage to "sync" between my iPhone and iPad. Messages sent to my iPhone aren't visible on the iPad.

On my iPhone, I have it sent up so that messages get sent to my phone number (automatically added, I can't remove it) and my apple ID. I have my "caller ID" set as my Apple ID.

On the iPad, I have it set for my Apple ID.

Is there anything else that I am missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the 'receive at' entry of the iPad matches the 'caller ID' entry of the iPhone then your messages 'should' be in sync. Have you tried rebooting both devices?

BTW, just so we're clear, any text messages from non-iMessage users will not show up on your iPad (wifi only version).

Just Me, D

Last edited:

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Theoretically......If you set it up on your iPhone under Settings=>Messages=>Receive At..Then where is says "You can be reached for message at:" be sure to have both you phone number ANF Apple ID. (i.e. Your name@me.com)

Hope that helps.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
If the 'receive at' entry of the iPad matches the 'caller ID' entry of the iPhone then your messages 'should' be in sync. Have you tried rebooting both devices?

BTW, just so we're clear, any text messages from non-iMessage users will not show up on your iPad (wifi only version).

Just Me, D

Yup, rebooted quite a few times.

No good.

And yeah, I am talking about iMessages from other iDevices. :)

Chris

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Rather odd...

Brickman is spot on. I have my iMessage email address setup on my iPad and iPhone.
BUT, typically I notice the sync works if I have my email address as the default on BOTH devices.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you have both devices setup to "receive" at a certain e-mail, it will receive if someone starts a
new message and sends to that e-mail. If someone sends a message to your number, it won't
receive to your iPad.

This finally changes in iOS 6, though. Right now on iOS 5 the iMessage doesn't list your
number as a "receive to" address on the iPad. With iOS 6 it does. So now if someone
messages your number it'll go to both devices. I really wish they would have just implemented
this from the beginning.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to figure the out also. So in order for iMessages to sync on iPad and iPhone the conversation must be had with my listed iMessage email? And in iOS 6 it won't matter. Correct?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to figure the out also. So in order for iMessages to sync on iPad and iPhone the conversation must be had with my listed iMessage email? And in iOS 6 it won't matter. Correct?

If the 'receive at' info is the same on both devices and it was used by the sender then yes, both devices will receive the iMessage(s). At least that has been my experience.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Cool the update in IOS 6 will good. Most of my friends that have both iPad and iPhone don't think of messaging me on the iPad they go straight to the phone.

I've been using the Google Voice iPhone app on the iPad to text non idevice folks for free via wifi.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Start a conversation with your iPad it should show on your friends as your email .. If he replies to that it will go to both but if u message from your phone and reply it will go to just your phone as he is not messaging your email so your iPad don't have a clue

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711