Imessage problems

pamaf

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
My apologies if the topic has been posted already.
I live in USA and my career is ATT, Both my wife and I have Iphone 4 updated to IOS 5. We use Imessage to communicate with my brother and my sister in law in Italy. They both have Iphone 4 updated to IOS 5. We all have Imessage on. We don't send International sms to any other phone or iphone.
98% of the conversations are sent and received as Imessage (blue). Few of them start as an Imessage (blue) and, when sent, became International SMS (green).. It happens both in wi-fi or 3G. During the same conversation or different conversation. No matter if a pic is attached or just text. ATT is charging me $ for the international texting and this drives me crazy. Neither ATT nor Apple is providing an explanation. If I cannot find a solution I'll be forced to use third part apps (viber) to send international free sms from iphone to iphone

Thanks in advance for your help and happy holidays to all!

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If they have their Apple ID's (Email) as a second number on their devices, why not try sending an iMessage to their Phones. Email them first, just to see if they are connected with Apple ID and so it won't cost you money to send a text. If you go to Messages under the Settings Menu, it has an option to Receive At... mine has 2 addresses (Phone Number and Apple ID/Email).

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think there is a option to turn off if iMessage fails send as SMS so atleast that way you won't send SMS if iMessage fails and get charged

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I think there is a option to turn off if iMessage fails send as SMS so atleast that way you won't send SMS if iMessage fails and get charged

This is correct there is a setting under settings messages

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I shut the SMS option off when I got my 4s, and I have never once had an iMessage fail. I don't text internationally, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk