Can you text internationally for free with iMessage?

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend in Europe and wondering if we can text without using Int rates to each other? Kinda like BBM. Thanks in advance!

stewm

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
make sure you use a email with imessage because if a data connection isnt available it auto sends a text

Yes, though it will send as SMS if the phone is not running iOS 5 as long as you have minimum data service, even if it is just 2G available you will be okay.

I haven't been charged and I was sending and receiving on iMessage with just basic data service available but did get charged because the person wasn't updated with iOS 5.

All in all it saved me $25 this week on international text messaging.

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah we've been making sure it says IMessage and not Text before we send any texts to each other as a safety net. Thanks for all the help on this everyone!

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm liking iMessage but not all my friends have it set up so it's not super advantageous. It's a great idea, though. More people need iPhones! Thankfully I have unlimited texting.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm liking iMessage but not all my friends have it set up so it's not super advantageous. It's a great idea, though. More people need iPhones! Thankfully I have unlimited texting.

I have encouraged them all to update to iOS 5. Almost everybody I know is on iPhone. With iMessage, I have only used 15 texts this month and I am 7 days into my billing period.

JnCrWe

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the U.S., and use iMessage to talk to an iPhone-using friend in Australia fairly frequently. It almost always works, but occasionally a message will be sent as a normal text message. It seems to happen whether I'm using 3G or WiFi. It may have to do with the receiver's connectivity, I suppose. It's a rare occurrence, but it is still something to keep in mind.

Edit: And actually, I just received a message as SMS, and then received the same message as an iMessage. I guess technology isn't perfect, though.

Last edited:

brewerchelsey

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but make sure you are actually sending an iMessage instead of an SMS. The send button will turn blue for iMessage
You just have to turn off sending as sms it will say "send as sms if imessage is unavailable"? it is in settings under message.. my boyfriend is in london and that is how we talk unless its FaceTime or Skype...

ashleyjean88

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
This may be a silly question but I'm new to iphones:

Will turning off that option (send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable) affect receiving text messages from other people? ie. will I not receive text messages from local friends who don't have iphones if I turn that option off?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This may be a silly question but I'm new to iphones:

Will turning off that option (send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable) affect receiving text messages from other people? ie. will I not receive text messages from local friends who don't have iphones if I turn that option off?

No, it only impacts sending messages.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
It works well internationally. Make sure that if you are traveling internationally you have a international data plan. If not,it will only send SMS unless on wifi.

crashnburn_in

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah we've been making sure it says IMessage and not Text before we send any texts to each other as a safety net. Thanks for all the help on this everyone!

I'm in the U.S., and use iMessage to talk to an iPhone-using friend in Australia fairly frequently. It almost always works, but occasionally a message will be sent as a normal text message. It seems to happen whether I'm using 3G or WiFi. It may have to do with the receiver's connectivity, I suppose. It's a rare occurrence, but it is still something to keep in mind.

Edit: And actually, I just received a message as SMS, and then received the same message as an iMessage. I guess technology isn't perfect, though.

Yes, but make sure you are actually sending an iMessage instead of an SMS. The send button will turn blue for iMessage

Interesting. I am wondering if there is a way to figure out WHO ALL out of my Phone book have iMessage / iPhone?

Then I'd message them on iMessage instead of WhatsApp or SMS (Preference order: iMessage > WhatsApp (I can see who all are on my whatsapp) > SMS)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro