iOS Device Contacts List for iMessage

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The whole advantage of iMessage is that you don't have to worry about who has an iOS5 device and who doesn't. You just send a text message and don't worry about whether it's an SMS or an iMessage. You don't have to worry about "is Pete using his iPhone 4s or his Droid 2 today?" or "is Suzy's iPad on?"

f1l4

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The whole advantage of iMessage is that you don't have to worry about who has an iOS5 device and who doesn't. You just send a text message and don't worry about whether it's an SMS or an iMessage. You don't have to worry about "is Pete using his iPhone 4s or his Droid 2 today?" or "is Suzy's iPad on?"

What about when I want to send a message to someone who doesn't have iPhone but has iPad?
I have to choose phone number for sms and mail for iMessage on iPad.
So, you have to worry sometimes :)

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
What about when I want to send a message to someone who doesn't have iPhone but has iPad?
she knows bro. she just wanted to disagree with me in another thread
in-fact, shell probably delete this thread because i said that

Last edited:

gemni73

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

exactly! and then you end up with two conversations for the same contact. annoying...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

If you already know they have an iPad, then the problem doesn't exist. If you don't know they have an iPad, then you wouldn't be worrying about it.

I don't understand why some people try to take something simple and make it difficult.

gemni73

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If you already know they have an iPad, then the problem doesn't exist. If you don't know they have an iPad, then you wouldn't be worrying about it.

I don't understand why some people try to take something simple and make it difficult.

most people have their phones with them at all times not their iPads....so you just wanna text and be done...not wondering if a friend is available to IMessage...I like iMessage but I wish I didn't have to have two conversations with someone because they have iOS devices but only one has iOS 5. we shouldn't have to think about whether or not someone has updated or not...you just want to text and be done. but for some people it's not a big deal...it's not a ios5 killer for me but that is the downside for me.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
When you start typing a name into the to field of the iMessages app the iOS device intelligently brings up a list below populated from your contacts. If you have iMessaged them previously then there is a solid blue speech bubble icon by their name and number and or email address.

This gives a visual indication as to who is (or isn't) on iMessage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I would like to have my iMessage contacts "separated" from regular contacts. True iMessage is simple. Almost TOO simple. The only thing different between texting and iMessaging as it stands i the chat bubble color, speed and receipts. People say the beauty in it is that it automatically differentiates. But if that's the case, what does it even matter? You send a text, you send an iMessage, the differences are negligible. I'm all for simplicity, however I am also a fan of exclusivity :)

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I only have one person in my contacts that also uses iOS devices, so no problem for me. LOL

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

the problem that exists is not knowing whether they have either.
I only have one person in my contacts that also uses iOS devices, so no problem for me. LOL

Are you totally sure about that? that's the problem. Let's imagine you only have two contacts in your address book, but don't talk to the other as often as you like and they got an iPad for christmas and neglected to notify you

When you start typing a name into the to field of the iMessages app the iOS device intelligently brings up a list below populated from your contacts. If you have iMessaged them previously then there is a solid blue speech bubble icon by their name and number and or email address.

This gives a visual indication as to who is (or isn't) on iMessage.

Not good enough. We want to know in advance if we even have the ability to send them a message or not. Imagine someone who's e-mail address you have but dont have their number. What if that person has an iPad? You can now send them a message to that iPad, but you have no way of knowing

Last edited:

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

Your very agressive. All people are saying is it would be nice for iMessage to function some what on it's own. It's Productive to know who has iMessage and who doesn't and helpful in a way for communication with others around the world who you cant call or text do to pricing issues for them. If they have iMessage you can communicate solely that way and keep them in your iMessage contacts to know this. It's just for organization purposes really n

Reactions: DannyMichel

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

what about if there is people that we dont want to give are phone number out to... it would be nice to know if an email is enabled in imessage

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Guys/Gals, at anytime you feel like you are not being treated fairly please feel free to contact me personally. Everyone here generally gets along fairly well and I'll do my best to make sure it stays that way.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Your very agressive. All people are saying is it would be nice for iMessage to function some what on it's own. It's Productive to know who has iMessage and who doesn't and helpful in a way for communication with others around the world who you cant call or text do to pricing issues for them. If they have iMessage you can communicate solely that way and keep them in your iMessage contacts to know this. It's just for organization purposes really n

I personally wouldn't want it to be separate - although it might help if you could simply have a marker within the contacts record. The problem there would by syncing - exchange accounts and google mail accounts would have to somehow sync that otherwise that contacts data wouldn't make a difference.

I would say that if I needed a separate contact list then it would just make it much more difficult to use and maintain - I like having one contact list to maintain instead of multiple.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
the problem that exists is not knowing whether they have either.

Are you totally sure about that? that's the problem. Let's imagine you only have two contacts in your address book, but don't talk to the other as often as you like and they got an iPad for christmas and neglected to notify you

Not good enough. We want to know in advance if we even have the ability to send them a message or not. Imagine someone who's e-mail address you have but dont have their number. What if that person has an iPad? You can now send them a message to that iPad, but you have no way of knowing

There are only a few people that know how to contact me, of those only one has an interest in Apple products, the others are Android fans, so yes, I'm sure.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
what about if there is people that we dont want to give are phone number out to... it would be nice to know if an email is enabled in imessage
A marker in addition to a separate list would be better for someone like me who has 900+ contacts

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

You mean if they don't want to give you their phone number? You can just give someone your email if you have it enabled in iMessage.

A better solution might be to get a Google Voice number and use it for those people that you don't want to have your actual phone number.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods