iMessage battery life

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Anyone notice the larger battery drain from using iMessage? If I start iMessaging someone I get about a 5% every 20 minute drain. This goes away when I turn it off and revert to SMS.

Sound off guys

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice the larger battery drain from using iMessage? If I start iMessaging someone I get about a 5% every 20 minute drain. This goes away when I turn it off and revert to SMS.

Sound off guys

Maybe a relevant post here. I've got my 4, touch and pad 2 upgraded and at times see battery life go down rather fast. The iPad is usually used for reference material and newspaper apps, sometimes my kids play games. It's burning the battery faster no matter what but this AM a customer asked me a bunch of questions via iMessage and a few more came in. I was down 12% battery in no time.

So here it seems like features of iOS 5 are draining the battery faster and maybe even faster when iMessage is used.

It's only been a few days but my phone's at 20% faster too. I just looked at usage and a bunch of iMessages were the main difference between Friday and Thursday use.

It's clearly got smarts that a text message doesn't have. I see it shows when the other party is typing, syncs across devices, and shows messages delivered so my guess is more use of radios, CPU, redrawing the screen etc..

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Maybe a relevant post here. I've got my 4, touch and pad 2 upgraded and at times see battery life go down rather fast. The iPad is usually used for reference material and newspaper apps, sometimes my kids play games. It's burning the battery faster no matter what but this AM a customer asked me a bunch of questions via iMessage and a few more came in. I was down 12% battery in no time.

So here it seems like features of iOS 5 are draining the battery faster and maybe even faster when iMessage is used.

It's only been a few days but my phone's at 20% faster too. I just looked at usage and a bunch of iMessages were the main difference between Friday and Thursday use.

It's clearly got smarts that a text message doesn't have. I see it shows when the other party is typing, syncs across devices, and shows messages delivered so my guess is more use of radios, CPU, redrawing the screen etc..

I have to say, I think I'm seeing more power drain using iMessage. I can't be certain because iCloud and iOS 5 have thrown some more possible sources of power drain in, but I would think that iMessage being enabled causes regular polling once notifications come in. I still made it through an entire day with pretty heavy use, though.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2