iMessage HELP

pandorum

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So I have the IOS 5 now on my iPhone 4 and I cant get this iMessage to work. I assumed from the presentation about it that it would automatically switch to iMessage when you go to text someone's number that has IOS 5 updated. Not me manually getting their apple ID email and doing it that way. Seems like a lot of hassle and it def. wasnt like that in the presentation. Do I need to freaking cave in an update to the iPhone 4S to actually have this work properly? So annoying right now. Not working the way they presented it.

Jockweiler

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
you shouldnt need an apple ID....Just the telephone number will do.
Mines works OK... just enter text as normal and if you are on wireless (or 3g i think) the message sends in blue balloon. If the recipient has IOS 5 and is on Wireless (or 3g i think) the message stays blue and gets delivered for free. If however any of the variables are false.... Edge, non IOS 5 recipient the message turns into a green ballon and it is a normal text.
That's what it has been like in my experience.......:D

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I was going to create an iMessage Help thread too, but seeing as one's already active and opened...

If I want to contact someone on iMessages through their email address, how do I do that? It's fine for numbers, but when I try to type in their email address, there's no button for an @ sign - and even if I copy and paste the email address it gets rid of the @ sign. Help me please!

I'm running iOS 5 (obviously) on an iPhone 4 GSM.

pandorum

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well from how they presented it, I assumed you just text like normal and it would automatically know if they have IOS 5 and make it free.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Also, as you type in someone's name in the address field for iMessage, a little blue bubble will show up by any phone number or email address they have set to receive iMessages at.

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I skimmed through some posts, but:

I think if you're messaging on iPhone, it will automatically use a person's phone number if the other person is on iPhone with iOS 5 and it will still be an iMessage. You don't need someone's Apple ID unless the message is going to their iPod or iPad (and don't own iPhone).

You basically send a text message as you always would. I don't think the device will know the recipient is on iOS 5 until you send a message (or it recognizes a .me address like it recognized my sister's) because now my contacts have blue speech bubbles next to their names when I punch a name in the new message.

Edit: I think iPad/iPod to iPhone will use the phone number though. lol now I don't know!

Last edited:

RyzBerry

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So, here's an interesting problem.

I am on my Ipad2 w IOS5 and iMessage launched.

My friend is on his Iphone4 w IOS5.

He sent me 3 messages - all were received fine. I cannot reply to anything or even start a new conversation w him. I can initiate the message and type, but the SEND button is greyed out.

Thoughts?

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I had that same problem this morning but it fixed itself somehow. Check your friend's information in your iPad's contacts app and see if the phone number or Apple ID email is there, maybe?

RyzBerry

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Same thing with my wife's phone. She can send me messages, I cannot reply.

***nevermind****

I am an idiot. I was typing in the subject field and not the text field.

Last edited:

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same as RyPad. I am on my iPad trying to message my friend who has an iPhone 4 who has already updated to iOS5 and all I can do is select the contact, type the message but then I can't send it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro