iMessage Not Working. iOS5 Bug?

magnus1986

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 from the latest iOS 4 version, Everything seems to be working fine except iMessage. It will not work, no matter how hard I try.

Whenever I send an iMessage, it says delivery failed after a long while. If I tap the exclamation mark next to the bubble and select the try again option, I get no progress bar unless I go back to home, lock the phone, unlock and open Messaging again. The progress bar then shows and remains stuck at 90% for a long while before failing again. This happens again and again, no matter how many times I retry. I cannot receive any iMessages either. Every other method is working fine, including tweets, emails and text messages. If I add my own phone number as a contact and send an iMessage, it goes through and shows up in as received too almost instantly.

I have tried with 2 different people for whom it works perfectly when they send iMessages to each other, I have confirmed all settings and methods to be identical. I have confirmed that activation is successful and have reconfirmed my Apple ID and have viewed all details within the configuration options located in the Settings > Messages menu. I have tried over Edge, 3G and Wifi. I have restarted Messaging many times along with turning the iMessages option on and off multiple times. I have tried rebooting the phone and turning iMessages off before and on after and leaving it on during the reboot. I have also tried a factory restore with and without reinstalling my apps on it.

Nothing fixes the problem and I am very frustrated. How can I fix it? Please help.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
So you did a restore and setup as a new device ( not restore from backup ) and it didn't work? Humm...At that point I might suggest an Apple Store appointment.

ja2ed

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I had sort of a problem like that yesterday trying it out between my iPhone and iPod. The badges and notification isnt working right

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Update: I have tried creating a new AppleID and using that. No use.

So, under Settings-->Messages, iMessage is switched to on, and drilling down to the "Receive At" submenu, your AppleID and settings are configured?

If that's the case, when you create a new message thread and type in a contact's name who's using iOS 5, is there a blue bubble beside their name?

magnus1986

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is configured and yes there's the blue send bubble as opposed to a green one for my other contacts. And as I previously said, I can send and receive iMessages to and from myself (not the most useful thing in the world I'd say) but not to and from anyone else.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes it is configured and yes there's the blue send bubble as opposed to a green one for my other contacts. And as I previously said, I can send and receive iMessages to and from myself (not the most useful thing in the world I'd say) but not to and from anyone else.

Hm. That is really strange. I haven't had that issue :-/

magnus1986

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
It seems very few people are having it. I'm not the only one but this is not widespread at all. I feel it's a bug in iOS 5 that only rears its head in some conditions but I'm baffled as to why it doesn't work even after a factory restore and before even touching the backups.

magnus1986

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Update 2: Upon further testing, I can send to myself if I store my phone number but it fails if I store my email address. For others, it fails for both phone numbers and email addresses.

This is almost certainly an AppleID problem. What do you say?

MikeC14

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
If you can send to your own devices and it works perhaps the other persons (recipient) iMessage isn't set up correctly with their Apple ID

Coach8762

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Same problem on Iphone4. I was on the phone with my carrier for 30 min., they couldn't fix it. Directed me to Apple. On phone with them for an hour. They couldn't fix it either. They said there is some bugs they are working on and that I should keep trying, maybe it will get fixed in a couple days. Good thing I'm getting the 4s today, and giving the 4 to my wife. She probably wont use that feature anyways.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I've never heard of that problem. I would definitely call Apple. A very nice Rep stayed on the phone with me for almost an hour until my iMessage was working.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73