Is it just me... Or is iMessage pretty lame

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple likes to make money.
Apple likes it's developers to make money.

Maybe what Apple has done is lay down the foundations, then they release the pertinent APIs to the developer community, who then build apps that add greater functionality. Groups, what are u listening to, location sharing, whatever.

Of course, Apple could be holding back a few things because they want to announce them at the iPad 3 launch in the spring. ;)

You really care that much about what people are listening to?

And by groups, you mean messages that go out to multiple people, and those people can comment in the same thread? If so, that's already in iMessage.

Location sharing? Eh, I guess that could be useful, but not really a stellar option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
You really care that much about what people are listening to?

And by groups, you mean messages that go out to multiple people, and those people can comment in the same thread? If so, that's already in iMessage.

Location sharing? Eh, I guess that could be useful, but not really a stellar option.

I only picked those things as examples. The only one that might interest me is groups.

As I understand it, imessage will let you have a group chat by messaging someone, then adding someone else, and so on.
BBM let's you assign a group of contacts into a permanent group.
iOS does not do this. Once the conversation is over, you'd have to add people one by one all over again.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The only people looking for BBM are people who have left their Blackberries for iPhones. And that's not all of them. The rest of the world (those people who never used a BB) doesn't care about BBM or whether iMessage is going to kill it. We don't want a replacement chat app, we want sms.

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been using iMessage now for weeks. It's great for sending pictures and stuff which are charged for by my carrier but I get unlimited texts anyway with my plan. I like being able to see when a message is delivered and read. I also love that I don't have to switch to another app to send messages as iMessage does texts and iMessages. The perfect solution for me.

Theophany

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I only picked those things as examples. The only one that might interest me is groups.

As I understand it, imessage will let you have a group chat by messaging someone, then adding someone else, and so on.
BBM let's you assign a group of contacts into a permanent group.
iOS does not do this. Once the conversation is over, you'd have to add people one by one all over again.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

You're wrong. A conversation is never closed unless you delete it.

And even then, if someone in the conversation replies, the conversation is reopened with all of the same recipients.

Also, there are groups in iOS.

Reactions: LazyStarGazer

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
You're wrong. A conversation is never closed unless you delete it.

And even then, if someone in the conversation replies, the conversation is reopened with all of the same recipients.

Also, there are groups in iOS.

Cool! Sometimes it's good to be wrong. ;)

Thanks.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
And it's not JUST about BBM... I also use LiveProfile, WhatsApp, and other messenger apps. I am just a fan of Messengers, with avatars, online statuses etc. For those of you that are cool with just simple sms, that's cool too- to each is own. I personally like the "chat" experience over traditional sms...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And it's not JUST about BBM... I also use LiveProfile, WhatsApp, and other messenger apps. I am just a fan of Messengers, with avatars, online statuses etc. For those of you that are cool with just simple sms, that's cool too- to each is own. I personally like the "chat" experience over traditional sms...

No offense, but this is the dumbest debate i've ever read...so you want a chat app? Download a damn chat app...you don't like using text messages (as defined by the native apple app)? Then put it in a folder and don't use it! You're acting like iMessage eliminates your ability to use a chat app if you wanted to...

And BBM? lol...move out of the stone age bud, BBM is a prehistoric ability to talk amongst Blackberry's that only a handful of people actually care about...if you're that upset over not having it, go buy a Blackberry and stay true to the dying breed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen