Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DannyMichel
  • 1 Post By Alli
  • 1 Post By Jellotime91
  • 1 Post By Good OL MC
  • 1 Post By Laelipoo
  • 1 Post By bbqsanchez
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    bbqsanchez's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Imessage and data

    hey guys how much data will imessage use per imessage text , does of you who have or haved used bbm please input your experience since it's basically the same thing. i dont have unlimited data anymore and i send about 4k - 6k sms monthly.
  2. #2  
    DannyMichel's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    this iMessage thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seeing as how they got rid of unlimited data
    Premium1 likes this.
  3. #3  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    A single iMessage uses so little data that it wouldn't even register. You would probably need to send in the thousands for any noticeable data use. Here's a good way of looking at it:

    Bytes (8 bits)

    0.1 bytes: A single yes/no decision (actually 0.125 bytes, but I rounded)
    1 byte: One character
    2 bytes:
    5 bytes
    10 bytes: One word (a word of language, not a computer word)
    20 bytes:
    50 bytes:
    100 bytes: Telegram; two punched computer (Hollerith) cards
    200 bytes:
    500 bytes:

    Kilobyte
    1,024 bytes; 210;
    approx. 1,000 or 10 3

    1 Kilobyte: Joke; (very) short story
    2 Kilobytes: Typewritten page
    10 Kilobytes: Page out of an encyclopedia
    20 Kilobytes:
    50 Kilobytes: Image of a document page, compressed
    100 Kilobytes: Photograph, low-resolution
    200 Kilobytes: Two boxes (4000) punched computer (Hollerith) cards
    500 Kilobytes: Five boxes, one case (10,000 of punched computer (Hollerith) cards
    Thanked by:
    bbqsanchez (09-17-2011)
    jclisenby likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    bbqsanchez's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannymichel View Post
    this iMessage thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seeing as how they got rid of unlimited data
    i think this will be HUGE imagine ios 5 will go back as far as the 3gs and 3rd generation ipod touch thats millions of already ios users that will use this feature seamingless. plus everyone switching to ip5. honestly the one thing that i would want this to have is the whole social network experience pf bbm. if it off right away we can definetly expect this on ios 6. oh baby !!
  5. #5  
    jclif's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbqsanchez View Post
    hey guys how much data will imessage use per imessage text , does of you who have or haved used bbm please input your experience since it's basically the same thing. i dont have unlimited data anymore and i send about 4k - 6k sms monthly.

    I never noticed any significant data usage from BBM and for awhile there that was all I used to answer your question.
  6. #6  
    DrewBear's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    305 Posts

    Default

    As others have pointed out, iMessage texts will use hardly any data. It's the photos and videos sent via iMessage that might be an issue.
  7. #7  
    Corey's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    430 Global Posts

    Default

    My only concern would be how they bill the data that it uses. Will the carriers bill the actual amount, or will they use some creative rounding. Will each individual use be charged up to the lowest billing unit, or will x amount of messages equate to one billing unit? SMS is supposed to be infinitesimal in data amount, but they're billed out some ridiculous percentage above their actual value. I'm curious how they'll approach iMessage.
    Titanium Lead
  8. #8  
    Jellotime91's Avatar
    iPhone Elite

    Posts
    2,484 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannymichel View Post
    this iMessage thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seeing as how they got rid of unlimited data
    LOL you're hilarious!! And @redraider liking this post is even funnier!! I find your trolling so amusing that I almost love you guys just for being trolls.

    Honestly, as Alli outlined above, iMessage uses so little data it won't even matter. When sent over 3G, videos will be compressed as they are over MMS so that they won't take as much data, and over WiFi they will be better quality. Do you guys really think Apple didn't take this into consideration?

    All those BBM users on 100mb data plans must be getting gouged every month, right??
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
    Thanked by:
    bbqsanchez (09-19-2011)
    BrindawithanI likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    bbqsanchez's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default

    i am very excited about this feature.. i know i will definetly use it lots lol
  10. #10  
    K3Hinckley's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Imessage and data

    iMessage uses little to no data, not to worry. About the unlimited data thing. I know that its tough but not Sprint is the only carrier to offer unlimited data and texting at the same price AT&T and Verizon off data at 2GB. So that's why many people switch to Sprint. AT&T is just there to offer service and take your money same with Verizon, I had both of them and T-Mobile and they all are just there for giving you it, but they gouge you. Sprint is there to offer realiable service as well as giving you the best service and best prices out there.
  11. #11  
    K3Hinckley's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Imessage and data

    IS COMPLETELY CORRECT!!

    I would be screwed if this weren't the case even though I have unlimited data with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    A single iMessage uses so little data that it wouldn't even register. You would probably need to send in the thousands for any noticeable data use. Here's a good way of looking at it:

    Bytes (8 bits)

    0.1 bytes: A single yes/no decision (actually 0.125 bytes, but I rounded)
    1 byte: One character
    2 bytes:
    5 bytes
    10 bytes: One word (a word of language, not a computer word)
    20 bytes:
    50 bytes:
    100 bytes: Telegram; two punched computer (Hollerith) cards
    200 bytes:
    500 bytes:

    Kilobyte
    1,024 bytes; 210;
    approx. 1,000 or 10 3

    1 Kilobyte: Joke; (very) short story
    2 Kilobytes: Typewritten page
    10 Kilobytes: Page out of an encyclopedia
    20 Kilobytes:
    50 Kilobytes: Image of a document page, compressed
    100 Kilobytes: Photograph, low-resolution
    200 Kilobytes: Two boxes (4000) punched computer (Hollerith) cards
    500 Kilobytes: Five boxes, one case (10,000 of punched computer (Hollerith) cards
  12. #12  
    Good OL MC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

    Default Imessage and data

    I send a 1,000-2,000 iMessages a month and I've noticed no significant increase in data usage over when I had normal texting.

    Don't worry about it.
    Twitter: @GoodOLMC
    Thanked by:
    bbqsanchez (04-01-2013)
    jclisenby likes this.
  13. #13  
    Laelipoo's Avatar

    Posts
    1,913 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2

    Default Imessage and data

    I send so many iMessages i could go off a unlimited texting plan (if it was even an option anymore) but no data spike. You'll be okay.


    iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk 2!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    ​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    bbqsanchez likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    bbqsanchez's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: Imessage and data

    Well I've being using iMessage everywhere iPad mini , iPhone and iMac I love it although I hope that with iOS 7 they add more features to it. It's to plain hopefully they can add better file management to it or some type of social feel to it like bbm
    jclisenby likes this.

Posting Permissions

B