- iMore Intermediate
- 425 Posts
How to use external DVD with iMac
I own a one year old iMac fully updated and running the most current OSX. I'm now on my second external DVD/CD reader/writer that will not run reliably with the iMac. I've tested the same DVD and it works fine with a MacBook running the same OSX. I'm trying to import an old collection of audio CD's. When first connected to USB, I can get the DVD to open and read a CD. Once it's done importing the CD, it will not open unless I unplug and reconnect the player. Same behavior on two different brand devices and same results even if I connect external power to the DVD so it is not a USB power issue.
Has anyone experienced similar and found a solution?
- 09-15-2016, 10:05 PM #2
- 4,709 Posts
Re: How to use external DVD with iMac
I can say I experienced this with a cheaper drive that I bought one time. Not saying you have a cheap drive. Door would not open when you ejected disc. I never did solve it. Tried it all. Plugged in directly to the wall, into my iMac's, different cables all with no luck. Decided to buy an SuperDrive and was the best decision I could have made. No door and ejects every time without fail. Have never had an issue since.
- 11-28-2016, 12:30 PM #3
- 11-28-2016, 07:15 PM #4
- By PeteLP in forum CarPlayReplies: 2Last Post: 09-27-2016, 06:19 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 09-16-2016, 10:20 AM
- By Chuck_IV in forum iOS 10Replies: 3Last Post: 09-15-2016, 09:53 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 09-15-2016, 08:05 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 09-15-2016, 06:31 PM