Buying a iMac for the first time

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm wanting to finally buy my very first iMac. However, I have several questions.

I'm wondering if refurbished iMacs bought from Apple are a good deal or not. How rigorous is there inspection and are they essentially like new? There was this 21 inch iMac 2015 I was dying that was about 900 dollars.

My second question is whether Apple offers any kind of monthly payment program or financing. I don't really have the ability to just drop 1,000 plus dollars on a new computer right now, so if I can just make payments on it that would be great and maybe I can even get a better computer if I do that then the 2015 21 inch iMac. But is Apple financing, if they offer it, a good deal if I always make my payments? And about how much would I be expecting to pay monthly on, say, a 2016 27inch iMac if I go that route?

And finally my last question is between the 21 inch and 27inch iMacs. I have a relatively small room and that's why I was eying the 21 inch, but is the 27inch just demonsterably better? I am not sure if I'd notice the difference of a 54000 rpm drive vs a fusion or whether id really appreciate the difference of 1080p vs 5k.

Anyway, thank you for the help.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
1. Refurbs from Apple are every bit as good as new if not better. Apple does a rigorous check on them before reselling them.
2. Apple does have financing available and you can check it out [URL="https://www.apple.com/financing/#mn_p]here[/URL]. I can not tell you how it works or what their rates are.
3. I own both a 20.5" & 27" and can tell you that there is a considerable difference in size. So if you even think you do not have the room for a 27", go with the 21". There is a huge difference between a 5400 & fusion. I have fusion drives & SSD's in all my Macs and would not consider anything less than a fusion drive these days. It is night & day difference in speed. As for 1080 or 5K, save your money. There is a difference, but unless you are a photographer or editing high end, there is no need for 5K.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Refurbished devices in general are tested more rigorously than non-refurbished devices. Once a Mac or iMac or any other device fails the quality check at the and of the manufacturing line, the faulty parts are removed and replaced with working ones.

Same goes for when a faulty device comes back under guarantee. The first buyer gets a new one and the one brought in gets checked very thoroughly, repaired and checked again before finally hitting the store, to be sold once again. Therefor I think personally it's safe to say that refurbished devices are less prone to malfunction than stock ones.

As for your second question, the local store will provide you with the best answer regarding payment plans if they have any.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Refurbished devices in general are tested more rigorously than non-refurbished devices. Once a Mac or iMac or any other device fails the quality check at the and of the manufacturing line, the faulty parts are removed and replaced with working ones.

Same goes for when a faulty device comes back under guarantee. The first buyer gets a new one and the one brought in gets checked very thoroughly, repaired and checked again before finally hitting the store, to be sold once again. Therefor I think personally it's safe to say that refurbished devices are less prone to malfunction than stock ones.

As for your second question, the local store will provide you with the best answer regarding payment plans if they have any.

Do you think they have the financing available for the refurbisheds?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Should I really worry about having more than 8gbs of ram or the integrated graphics vs dedicated GPU? Really I'm just going to use this computer for basic stuff and some less challenging games like DOTA or something.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I bought a 27 inch 5k iMac through apples financing. My only concern is that when removing the computer from its various styrofoam holders and its cover sleeves, I accumulated static build up. I touched the computers back casing, unplugged, and felt a static shock. Did I potentially damage my new computer or is it safe?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure your right. I mean, I wasn't even plugged into power and I'm sure the components are insulated against such things, right? Computer seems to be running fine

Congrats on the new machine. Quit worrying about the little things and start enjoying that new machine. You can do no harm to the machine from a static shock to the outside of it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on the new iMac! You got a good one :)

Thanks. I specifically made sure to get the fusion drive variant. I love the machine so far, it's just I've been using Windows for so long there's some adjusting to do. Like, I didn't know that clicking the red x doesn't actually close the program. Crazy, ha ha

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on the new machine. Quit worrying about the little things and start enjoying that new machine. You can do no harm to the machine from a static shock to the outside of it.

That's good to know. I kinda figured that Apple would design these things to take ESD into account as well, huh

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That's good to know. I kinda figured that Apple would design these things to take ESD into account as well, huh

I'm pretty sure that's a common thing in this kind of stuff.

Try to enjoy your Mac and stop worrying. It's not made out of ice, it won't melt upon touching.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I just know that static electricity and computers don't mix

I know, I build computers for a living. A human being doesn't feel static electricity till 2000v whereas 100v is enough to ruin hardware.

But once computers and laptops for consumers are fully assembled, that risk is accounted for. Or consumers would have broken computers or laptops every single day.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I know, I build computers for a living. A human being doesn't feel static electricity till 2000v whereas 100v is enough to ruin hardware.

But once computers and laptops for consumers are fully assembled, that risk is accounted for. Or consumers would have broken computers or laptops every single day.

So once it's in the case enclosure, even if it's made a aluminum , the components are pretty safe from static and stuff?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR