Buying a iMac for the first time

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I actually called apple support , just to ask. Guy said everything's cool because he said the motherboard and components are grounded and insulated so touching the case would t even hit the components, it just go through the metal of the case. Also, he said the thing would t even power on if it had damage to it. So, that finally puts my mind at ease and I can enjoy my computer now :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So I actually called apple support , just to ask. Guy said everything's cool because he said the motherboard and components are grounded and insulated so touching the case would t even hit the components, it just go through the metal of the case. Also, he said the thing would t even power on if it had damage to it. So, that finally puts my mind at ease and I can enjoy my computer now :)

Not to be a mood killer, but you should've enjoyed it already.

If static discharge was that big of a risk for the computer there would be a huge sticker with a warning on it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Not to be a mood killer, but you should've enjoyed it already.

If static discharge was that big of a risk for the computer there would be a huge sticker with a warning on it.

Right. And I was enjoying it, it was just a nagging thought in my head, you know?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if fibers from dusting clothes or dust and debris can get in those cutouts under the macs screen. I read those are speaker ports. I'm just worried about stuff getting into my computer.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It's possible. Small dust, hair, or other particles can get pulled into systems via the fan. Modern computers are resilient and can handle things like this.

Not saying anyone should purposefully let excessive dust or other stuff get sucked into the air intake, but over the years I've seen some fans (power supply, CPU, GPU) be completely caked in dust and other stuff, and the computer is still running well. If your iMac is not sitting on the floor, and you regularly vacuum or sweep your environment, I think there's nothing to worry about.

Like Tartarus said above, don't worry and enjoy it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's possible. Small dust, hair, or other particles can get pulled into systems via the fan. Modern computers are resilient and can handle things like this.

Not saying anyone should purposefully let excessive dust or other stuff get sucked into the air intake, but over the years I've seen some fans (power supply, CPU, GPU) be completely caked in dust and other stuff, and the computer is still running well. If your iMac is not sitting on the floor, and you regularly vacuum or sweep your environment, I think there's nothing to worry about.

Like Tartarus said above, don't worry and enjoy it.

Right. I just didn't know what those little slots were underneath the iMac. I learned later they were the speaker vents I think. I'm more worried about stuff getting under the screen or something.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner