Most compatible 64gb ram for the late 2015 27' iMac with 5k display?

Kelvin Choi

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Which brand is the most compatible 64gb ram for the late 2015 27' iMac with 5k display? Some say that the owc ones are the best, and crucial is second, but i've heard a few cases about the owc 64ram combo(4x16) being faulty or causing the imac to not turn on and other long term problems. On the other hand, some say that crucial's ram are very unreliable and that they even pulled it off the market. Any idea guys?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have four iMac 5k 27" at work using Crucial RAM. Not a one of them has given me any problems. We have been using it for several months. We use our iMac's for graphic design in the printing industry.

Kelvin Choi

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I want the iMac for, I have a MacBook Pro retina with the highest specs at around 2.6ghz i7 16gb ram but when I open more than one raw file that's around 50mb each, it would freeze with the beach ball logo, is that a processor problem or ram problem that's causing it to be so slow and freeze? Lightroom is fine but preview always freezes

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you asked this question but I've been researching the exact same thing. I wish Apple charged reasonable prices for ram so I wouldn't have to shop 3rd party, but it is what it is.

Kelvin Choi

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad you asked this question but I've been researching the exact same thing. I wish Apple charged reasonable prices for ram so I wouldn't have to shop 3rd party, but it is what it is.

yea, not only reasonable price, i wish they offer more than 32gb or more options so that we don't have to risk using 3rd party rams that might harm the mac

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am just the slightest bit nervous because there are a lot of forum posts out in the wild about 3rd party ram causing issues. I'm going to buy the standard 8 gigs from Apple and bump it to 16 aftermarket to start with and then go from there.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I want the iMac for, I have a MacBook Pro retina with the highest specs at around 2.6ghz i7 16gb ram but when I open more than one raw file that's around 50mb each, it would freeze with the beach ball logo, is that a processor problem or ram problem that's causing it to be so slow and freeze? Lightroom is fine but preview always freezes

What drive do you have in your MBP? In most cases today it will be your HDD that will slow things down. I have fusion drives in my iMacs and they never beach ball opening a file that size. Takes a second or two with the fusions, but we have one iMac with a 1TB SSD and it does not even blink at a file that size. You have plenty of RAM and processing power. The only thing I can see causing it would be your drive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2