iMac vs. MacBook Pro

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Not impressed! I bought an iMac today, and my bloody MacBook Pro (8GB ram, 128GB SSD) is FASTER than it!
I'm now guessing it has to do with the 1TB SATA drive in the iMac. To be honest, I presumed with the iMac being a 3.2 GHz. and the MacBook has 2.7 GHz.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Modern processors are all crazy fast. The difference between a magnetic drive like the SATA in the iMac and the SSD in your MacBook will be much more noticeable than the difference between the two processors.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
As true as that may be, I seriously expected the processing power to help for the lack of SSD or Fusion. :(

Modern processors are all crazy fast. The difference between a magnetic drive like the SATA in the iMac and the SSD in your MacBook will be much more noticeable than the difference between the two processors.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My father-in-law has a MacBook with an SSD drive that runs circles around my iMac with the 1 TB drive in it. To be honest, I'm not sure why you'd expect anything more. It's not like it's slow or anything right? It's just not as fast correct?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have both a MBP and an iMac. My MBP is running an SSD and is seriously fast, My iMac has a fusion drive and is crazy fast. I have a hard time telling the difference. The only time I find a significant difference is when I am rendering large video files or large Illustrator or Photoshop files. My iMac has a fair bit more processing power, plus fusion drive, so renders quicker than my MBP.

You are absolutely correct abut the 1TB hard drive. They are 5400 RPM in the new iMacs and can be slow. Not sure why Apple does not go with at least a 7200 RPM drive instead, but I am not Apple. This is the biggest contributing factor as to why your MBP is faster than your iMac.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Someone else in another forum, suggested this very thing. But, to me, might as well spend the extra and get an iMac with Fusion.
As for my case scenario, I'll return the iMac, and stick with the MacBook Pro. I have a monitor that I can connect it too, if I need to. Plus, I noticed that my Logitech Wave keyboard and mouse, work with the MacBook and iMac (not too fond of the magic mouse!)...

Can an iMac be setup with an external SSD drive as be used the same way a Fusion Drive would work?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner