From MacBook to iMac, possibly...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
On 13th May, I bought a MacBook Pro 13". I've been saying for years, I'd get a Mac one day (been a Windows user my entire life, and I'm an IT Support Manager, too).

I've also been looking at the iMac 21" or 27" (to be honest, 27" might be too large).

Obviously, the difference between the iMac and MacBook is that one is portable. Besides that, would one lose anything if moving from a MacBook to an iMac? I'm mainly thinking from a speed and memory perspective...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The only thing you lose is portability! I have a 27 inch 5K iMac and I love it, it has pretty much replaced my MacBook Pro as my main computer, so much so that I sold the MBP and bough a 12 inch MacBook for maximum portability for when I travel. As you may know I too am/was a PC guy and I work tech support in the PC world too for the City of Philadelphia. But as the old saying goes, "once you go Mac you never go back!" I still own a windows 10 laptop for reference and my office desktops (I have 2) are both Windows 7.

PS Apple always uses top of the line components, and the iMacs are no different, current generation offers THE very latest Skylake processors at clock speeds comparable to the MBP (BUT the MBP probably has a haswell, the last generation chip) The iMac's also have a VERY innovative hard drive called a fusion drive which has both tradition storage AND SSD storage, it dynamically decides which programs to store in the faster SSD portion of the drive.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Currently, at home I have an HP Z600 Workstation. A beast of a machine, with a 500GB SSD, and a second hard drive (SATA), for backups. Do I need that beast, probably not.

I mainly use my computer for browsing the Internet, posting on Forums, Office 2016 applications, Quicken, VPN and RDP.
I've always wanted a Mac, of some sort, and I'm in a position, currently, to purchase one.

Today, I was browsing the Best Buy shop, and noticed that the MacBook Pro 13.3", I just bought, has $150 off (it had $100 off, when I bought it on 13th May). Then I started looking at the iMac, and thought I could return my MacBook, and buy an iMac...

In addition, I guess I could get an iMac, and then get a keyboard for my iPad Air II. That way, I can certainly type much bloody faster, when sitting on the sofa ;)

See, decisions, decisions...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ivan,

I think you are good either way! The MBP is also a great machine and it served me well for several years. I had a late 2013 model. And it DOES sound like you got a great deal! BUT you also can't go wrong trading in for an iMac. For SURE its no less powerful and may be, probably is more powerful (depending on model) then the MBP. That being said it DOES sound like you have a beast of a Windows box too! I run both platforms also, keeps me sharp! When I help people at home, which I often do now I can speak Mac as well as PC! ;)

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
And part of my reason for getting\going Mac, is to broaden the support scope I can offer.
I'm sure in a few months, I'm going to start to convince my company to move towards getting\offering Mac's and thus supporting them.

Ivan,

I think you are good either way! The MBP is also a great machine and it served me well for several years. I had a late 2013 model. And it DOES sound like you got a great deal! BUT you also can't go wrong trading in for an iMac. For SURE its no less powerful and may be, probably is more powerful (depending on model) then the MBP. That being said it DOES sound like you have a beast of a Windows box too! I run both platforms also, keeps me sharp! When I help people at home, which I often do now I can speak Mac as well as PC! ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll