Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Need help buying a Mac

I am considering purchasing a Mac for my mother's birthday. I believe she will use it for games and video streaming. The two Macs I am torn between are the 4K iMac and the Macbook Air. I want to make sure that whichever Mac I purchase will be "future proof" as she does not care about the latest and greatest. Any advice will help. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Need help buying a Mac

If you're looking at a MacBook Air, I'd wait another month for WWDC and see what Apple does there. I think your biggest question would be whether she needs a portable or not. Also, is the screen size of a non-retina MacBook Air large enough for her to see things clearly vs the iMac?
    iMore Intermediate

198 Posts

Default Re: Need help buying a Mac

Welcome to iMore and first of all, no computer is future proof. As far as selecting the right machine, I would suggest going to the Apple Store or Best Buy and play around with some of the demo units.

This would give you a better idea of what's available and within your budget. Good luck with whatever unit you decide to buy.