Where can I get better Storage Space on an older Mac?

I

iMore Question

Storage Space on older Mac

I have a Mac OS X, upgraded to Snow Leopard with 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo; 2 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM blahblahblah whatever. Sorry, too old now and brain is not processing all these abbreviations.

How do I find the storage space?? I have tried to google the info but I can't find one that fits my Mac.

Please help! Can't even download my new camera pictures without an upgrade. Should I just upgrade to Yosemite? Thanx, Robbin

Matt-B

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Storage Space on older Mac

Are you trying to determine how much space you are using on your mac? Highlight the hard disk icon on the desktop or in the finder and press Command-i - that will let you know how much free space you have.

I would suggest upgrading to the newest OSX version your hardware supports. You should make a backup first of course. If you find the machine a bit slow and in need of a speed boost - throw an SSD in it and it will be a massive improvement. I did that with the 2010 macbook pro my parents use and it's a great machine to use.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Storage Space on older Mac

I have a Mac OS X, upgraded to Snow Leopard with 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo; 2 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM blahblahblah whatever. Sorry, too old now and brain is not processing all these abbreviations.

How do I find the storage space?? I have tried to google the info but I can't find one that fits my Mac.

Please help! Can't even download my new camera pictures without an upgrade. Should I just upgrade to Yosemite? Thanx, Robbin

Click on the Apple in your menu bar in the upper left corner. Click on About this Mac. A new menu will pop up which will have a tab marked Storage. Click on it and this will show you the storage used on your hard drive.

I believe you have a 2008 iMac from your description. You can actually upgrade to El Capitan, which is the most current operating system. You could try downloading the pictures through Image Capture, which is an app in you Applications Folder. It is possible that you need to upgrade to accommodate you new camera as well. If that is the case, then going to El Capitan should not be an issue for you. I have a 2007 iMac running El Capitan without any issues.