iMac v Mac Mini - anything I'm missing

SidKop

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm tempted by either of the middle models of the 21.5' iMac or Mac Mini to replace my old 17" laptop (I should get away with the ipad for lap browsing). The mac mini seems to have the advantage as the risk is spread out, if I want to replace the screen or the computer later I can as it's all separate; however, as I will be moving the setup occasionally (we're in a small apartment so when the kids are in bed the computer will sit closer to me) the iMac has the advantage as it's only one thing to move and a lot less cables to worry about.

Is there anything I should be aware of with either model? How stable is the iMac, as I've said, we're in a small apartment so it's quite possible that kids will be around the setup at times and it could get knocked...:concern:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you are starting from 0, the costs are really close. Monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. all add up and offset the savings you get from buying the Mini. Until this year I have preferred the Minis for entry level to average work because I'd rather my computer and monitor were separate devices (I haven't really been an iMac fan since they were introduced back in the day though).

The iMacs have good weight to them. The screen might crack but if your kids are really young, I'd be more worried about it landing on them and hurting them than the machine itself getting damaged unless it takes a really high fall. AppleCare service plan might be well worth it, especially if you are near an Apple store and can just walk it in for repairs.

Have you considered a Macbook? Might be better for a space limited/apartment living situation (plus sounds like a full apartment!). You can always find a relatively decent 1080p monitor down the road for $100-$200 to plug it into.

SidKop

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
If you are starting from 0, the costs are really close. Monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. all add up and offset the savings you get from buying the Mini. Until this year I have preferred the Minis for entry level to average work because I'd rather my computer and monitor were separate devices (I haven't really been an iMac fan since they were introduced back in the day though).

The iMacs have good weight to them. The screen might crack but if your kids are really young, I'd be more worried about it landing on them and hurting them than the machine itself getting damaged unless it takes a really high fall. AppleCare service plan might be well worth it, especially if you are near an Apple store and can just walk it in for repairs.

Have you considered a Macbook? Might be better for a space limited/apartment living situation (plus sounds like a full apartment!). You can always find a relatively decent 1080p monitor down the road for $100-$200 to plug it into.
I've considered the MacBook, its just as the cost is the same for imac it becomes tempting. Ive read reports (artstechnia i think) that MacBook air can stutter when playing he video (YouTube, etc).... Any experience of this

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I've considered the MacBook, its just as the cost is the same for imac it becomes tempting. Ive read reports (artstechnia i think) that MacBook air can stutter when playing he video (YouTube, etc).... Any experience of this

Play video's a lot, and haven't had any issues on my MBA.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm tempted by either of the middle models of the 21.5' iMac or Mac Mini to replace my old 17" laptop (I should get away with the ipad for lap browsing). The mac mini seems to have the advantage as the risk is spread out, if I want to replace the screen or the computer later I can as it's all separate; however, as I will be moving the setup occasionally (we're in a small apartment so when the kids are in bed the computer will sit closer to me) the iMac has the advantage as it's only one thing to move and a lot less cables to worry about.

Is there anything I should be aware of with either model? How stable is the iMac, as I've said, we're in a small apartment so it's quite possible that kids will be around the setup at times and it could get knocked...:concern:

What did you end up with? I'm in a similar debate, upgrade a 2009ish Mac Mini with the 2014 version or go with a middle 21" iMac.

I'm very surprised by the i7 Mac Mini w/ a Fusion drive...that seems to be the way to go 👀

Last edited:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

MBA plays back video fine.

Issue for me was the screen size. I found myself sticking my neck forwards to see it. It was a really uncomfortable device for me to use, and so I still preferred my 15.6" Windows Notebook, which I planned on replacing with it. Also, I kinda need a mouse when using any computer at a desk. No matter how great the track pad is, nothing beats a decent mouse*.

So I returned it and got the 2.7GHz 21.5" iMac instead, and I think it's a keeper. Partly because I haven't had a desktop since my other one crapped the bed, and partly because this machine is probably the best value out of Apple's entire PC lineup (across notebooks and desktops) - IMO.

The only thing I hate about it, is the Magic Mouse. Really, the worse and most non-ergonomic mouse I've ever used. I'm going to buy a second (irony follows) Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse to replace Apple's, and sell this one to someone for $50 or something... I am still blown away by how bad this thing is usability-wise... ... ...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What did you end up with? I'm in a similar debate, upgrade a 2009ish Mac Mini with the 2014 version or go with a middle 21" iMac.

I'm very surprised by the i7 Mac Mini w/ a Fusion drive...that seems to be the way to go ��

I don't think the prices differ by much. Wondering how much it would cost to get a 20-22" screen as good as an iMacs for the Mini, decent set of Speakers, a decent Web Cam, and of course if you want Apple's Mouse and KB that's about $130 out of the gate (though you can always reuse what you have).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW