New iMac owner - software recommendations?

micaels

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
So I have just gotten an iMac 27 inch and loving the experience so far :smile: What software do you recommend to install onto it?:smile:

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
1Password
Reeder for Mac when the new version is released.
Tweetbot for Mac
Mint if you're a Mint.com user
Caffeine
AirServer
CleanMyMac

I know there are other apps I use but I haven't been able to use my iMac in a month and I can no longer remember them all. The ones I listed are the ones I use the most and they are all in the Mac App Store except for AirServer and CleanMyMac. I'll edit this post if I remember others.

Sent from my 64GB Space Gray iPhone 5s using Tapatalk 2

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So I have just gotten an iMac 27 inch and loving the experience so far :smile: What software do you recommend to install onto it?:smile:

Here are a few to get you started...

1Password
Pathfinder
Bartender
Fantastical
Custom Menu
TextExpander
Tincta editor
Microsoft Office for Mac
Caffeinated
Mactracker
VLC
Handbrake
DeskConnect
FreeSpace
PixelMator
Moom

Rjgjr#IM

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I got my new 27" iMac just a little before you,and i love it too ! Here's what I have downloaded so far:
Steam(for games)
Clear Day(great weather app)
evernote
amazon mp3 downloader
several games(max payne 3,deer hunter,deus ex,call of duty,etc)
and of course pages,numbers,keynote,etc. I'm still on the lookout for apps myself!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Going to the Mac App Store and just looking around can reveal some useful and fun apps. Enjoy your new Mac.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
1Password
Reeder for Mac when the new version is released.
Tweetbot for Mac
Mint if you're a Mint.com user
Caffeine
AirServer
CleanMyMac

I know there are other apps I use but I haven't been able to use my iMac in a month and I can no longer remember them all. The ones I listed are the ones I use the most and they are all in the Mac App Store except for AirServer and CleanMyMac. I'll edit this post if I remember others.

May I know what you use air server on your iMac for? Can't imagine a viable use, unless you like mirroring your IOS device on your desktop for recording purposes.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
May I know what you use air server on your iMac for? Can't imagine a viable use, unless you like mirroring your IOS device on your desktop for recording purposes.

You use it the same way you would if it were an tv. I don't do any recording. I don't have a tv in my office. And my TV is in my bedroom. Sometimes I want to watch or listen to something that's only on my iDevices and I don't want to leave my office/craft room to do it. It's usually a video podcast. I mirror Downcast so I can watch video podcasts at 3x speed. The trick works on the tv too. I used it a lot before I had an tv. AirServer is what convinced me to buy an tv last December in the first place. I already had a Roku. I think it's still the better value for the money despite not having a YouTube app. I only bought my tv for AirPlay. However, I use it exclusively now. Apple has added all of the channels I watch on a regular basis. The only thing missing is Amazon Instant Video, but I can AirPlay it. I haven't used my Roku since Amazon added AirPlay support.

Now that I've had my tv a year I'm still finding myself using AirServer a lot. I used it on Sunday to teach a Muggle about iTunes Radio. I use it to listen to audio podcasts/Audible without having to use my Bluetooth speaker.

Check out AirServer's website. They do a good job of explaining the use cases. http://www.airserver.com/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2