Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Peter Cohen
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    568 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,487 Global Posts

    Default Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    So, I've never really owned my own computer. Back in the day I did have a crappy penguin, but that thing could barely run the original star craft :/

    Anyway, I'm thinking of saving for a computer of my own, and am considering saving or a imac. However, I do have some questions/concerns since I've never owned a Mac and only ever really used one in my school computer lab a few times or playing around with one at best buy or the apple store.

    1. Are iMacs any good at playing modern computer games? Honestly, I'm more than likely not going to game heavy on it, however I still would like the random game I do want to play (diablo 3, love games, or whatever else I can't get on my home consoles or is better on a computer in a meaningful way) and have them ru. Smoothly and look good, if I wanted that, would I have to go with the 27inch model? Or can I get by withheld 21 inch model?

    (I know we are soon going to have a product refresh with haswell. Still would like to hear what you guys think, though, on this.)

    2. Is this computer mostly for developers and graphic artists? I don't do anyone hat work related on the computer and my school work is basically word processing and such. If this was going to be a computer for web browsing, video viewing, light gaming, and other computing needs (i also think ill like itunes better on a mac and I like alot of apples stuff) would the imac still be worth? I also like how the Mac performs for computing and web purases more than windows and PC. I liked the feel of it.

    3. What do you personally like about the Mac as opposed to a PC?

    4.
  2. #2  
    Brickman's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    861 Posts
    Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Question #1) Macs do play games very well, BUT keep in mind not all games are designed for the Mac. Some of the Internet games and "PC Games" (that can be found at Target, etc.) do not play on Mac. They are PC specific. If you are a BIG gamer you will want a PC to play all the games. If you are a more casual gamer you will find plenty of quality games, even big names, for the Mac.

    Question #2) I have used an iMac for Work since 2007. I still use the same 2007 iMac today for work. It just won't die! I run my business off my iMac and my wife runs her travel agency business off her MacBook Pro. I even run AutoCAD on my iMac, so yes an iMac makes a GREAT work computer.

    Question #3) This is just MPO, but the GREATEST advantage of an iMac over Mac over PC is no need for Norton, Macefee, etc. on your computer. I HATE that stuff! Also another huge perk is how iMac, iPad, and iPhone all have the same info on them and stay synced to together at all times. Live that!

    I am not saying PC's are bad computers. My twins are using PC laptops for college. I actually kinda like Windows 7. I don't know much about Windows 8. I just prefer Macs.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

    Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

    Also on Google+ if you are on there.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    568 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,487 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
    Question #1) Macs do play games very well, BUT keep in mind not all games are designed for the Mac. Some of the Internet games and "PC Games" (that can be found at Target, etc.) do not play on Mac. They are PC specific. If you are a BIG gamer you will want a PC to play all the games. If you are a more casual gamer you will find plenty of quality games, even big names, for the Mac.

    Question #2) I have used an iMac for Work since 2007. I still use the same 2007 iMac today for work. It just won't die! I run my business off my iMac and my wife runs her travel agency business off her MacBook Pro. I even run AutoCAD on my iMac, so yes an iMac makes a GREAT work computer.

    Question #3) This is just MPO, but the GREATEST advantage of an iMac over Mac over PC is no need for Norton, Macefee, etc. on your computer. I HATE that stuff! Also another huge perk is how iMac, iPad, and iPhone all have the same info on them and stay synced to together at all times. Live that!

    I am not saying PC's are bad computers. My twins are using PC laptops for college. I actually kinda like Windows 7. I don't know much about Windows 8. I just prefer Macs.
    Yeah, actually not having e need for anti virus is one of the big reasons I'm considering Mac. I got hosed quite a few times with viruses and malware on my PC that I had no clue where it came from. I just don't want to deal with that stress.

    Would I maybe be better off with a MacBook for my computing needs and a desktop PC for when I game? Honestly, I'm more of a console gamer, but that could be because I've never had a PC that can run games well.

    I'm just thinking of the real estate in my room. I don't have room for both a imac and a PC. And I think have both in he same room would be ridiculous :P
  4. #4  
    Brickman's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    861 Posts
    Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Yeah two different computers seems like "too much Tech" for me. If you have a console (ie. Xbox,etc.) then just stick with that. I personally use my iPad and iP5 for almost all my gaming, but I am not a big gamer. Too old! LOL! My wife loves her MBP. Does everything on it. I went with an iMac only because of screen size. I look at CAD plans and large PDFs for work so the larger screen is nice. If not for that I probably would have the MBP.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

    Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

    Also on Google+ if you are on there.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    568 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,487 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
    Yeah two different computers seems like "too much Tech" for me. If you have a console (ie. Xbox,etc.) then just stick with that. I personally use my iPad and iP5 for almost all my gaming, but I am not a big gamer. Too old! LOL! My wife loves her MBP. Does everything on it. I went with an iMac only because of screen size. I look at CAD plans and large PDFs for work so the larger screen is nice. If not for that I probably would have the MBP.
    Yeah, a mac book is a consideration I was making as well. Don't know if I need the computer to be portable, though, since my ipad and my phone are what I use on the go or on the couch. But maybe the option of a mac book being portable is enough of a draw if I need it to make it the better choice compared to a iMac.

    Why would you go with a macbook Pro as opposed to a air?
  6. #6  
    madeinhb's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    I have to say, it's still wise to get an anti virus for a Mac. Even though macs have a small percentage of virus that effect them, they can still send virus. I had a friend who sent an email out that contained a virus. Didn't effect his Mac but hosed everyone he sent email to. I have an anti virus just so I don't mess someone else who made the poor decision to own a pc haha
  7. #7  
    madeinhb's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Yeah, a mac book is a consideration I was making as well. Don't know if I need the computer to be portable, though, since my ipad and my phone are what I use on the go or on the couch. But maybe the option of a mac book being portable is enough of a draw if I need it to make it the better choice compared to a iMac.

    Why would you go with a macbook Pro as opposed to a air?
    Simple question- what do you really need? iMacs are nice but if you hardly use computers, can get Mac mini. If you want portable, you have lap tops. Pro and air are nice. For those the main question is- do you need the DVD drive? If a lot, pro. If hardly ever- the air as you can have a external.

    Since I use my ipad for everything, my MBP died so I got a Mac mini. For the rare occasions I need an actual computer.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    568 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,487 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    I was worried if I went with the macbook air that I would get tired of using the track pad all the time. I assume the apple mouse works great with the macbook?
  9. #9  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    I was worried if I went with the macbook air that I would get tired of using the track pad all the time. I assume the apple mouse works great with the macbook?
    Of course... I use my Magic Mouse with my rMBP quite a bit when I’m at my desk... not so much when I am mobile.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  10. #10  
    SWFLFFPM's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    New to Apple-talk me into an iMac

    My thread might help.

    I play Diablo 3 (my original post said Doom 3-that was an error) without problems. I use the trackpad which is so-so for this game.

    I am not a heavy user but I find the iMac does everything well although I am still getting used to some things. I do not miss the PC at all.

    I also purchased Office for Mac for compatibility with the PC document world.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    568 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,487 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Of course... I use my Magic Mouse with my rMBP quite a bit when I’m at my desk... not so much when I am mobile.
    What's your reason for owning a rMBP? Is it for work? Gaming? I'm just curious because the rMBP just seems so expensive as opposed to a Major even a regular MBP
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    568 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,487 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Really, thinking about it I think the only computer games if play would be blizzard and valve games and maybe a few random games I find on mac like older games and bioshock infinite. Or if I bootloader windows I would maybe try Skyrim. Would the 21 inch iMac probably run those well? Would I need to go up to the i7 processor?
  13. #13  
    Peter Cohen's Avatar
    iMore staff

    Posts
    75 Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    There are a lot of great games for the Mac. The Mac doesn't have parity with Windows by any stretch (though I guess it does if you go the Boot Camp route), but there are certainly enough to kill your free time in between doing productive stuff on your computer.

    The iMac isn't used just by developers and creatives. It's an excellent general purpose computer that can be used for anything you want to do.

    The 21 vs the 27 - the 21 doesn't have expandable RAM, the 27 does. The 27 inch obviously has a bigger screen, it also has moderately faster video.

    I've been using Macs since the mid 80s, so I'm probably not the best judge of what makes them better than PCs, but from my perspective, the benefits include a lack of malware, tighter integration between the hardware and operating system, and better industrial design.
    JustMe'D likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    568 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,487 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cohen View Post
    There are a lot of great games for the Mac. The Mac doesn't have parity with Windows by any stretch (though I guess it does if you go the Boot Camp route), but there are certainly enough to kill your free time in between doing productive stuff on your computer.

    The iMac isn't used just by developers and creatives. It's an excellent general purpose computer that can be used for anything you want to do.

    The 21 vs the 27 - the 21 doesn't have expandable RAM, the 27 does. The 27 inch obviously has a bigger screen, it also has moderately faster video.

    I've been using Macs since the mid 80s, so I'm probably not the best judge of what makes them better than PCs, but from my perspective, the benefits include a lack of malware, tighter integration between the hardware and operating system, and better industrial design.
    Thanks for the reply, Peter.

    If I did go with the 21 inch, do you find that the GT 650 video card it has is powerful enough for games?
  15. #15  
    Mokoolapps's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

    Default Re: Thinking of making the imac my first computer I personally own. Some questions.

    1. Yes they are pretty good for that
    2. Look at it today and how long it will last, if your computer too powerful not a bad thing, it means it will last longer. But you can use it for day to day as well
    3. I LOVE the 27" screen, I can put things side by side.. I use to have two screens on the PC, i soo much prefer one screen that is BIGGER.

Similar Threads

  1. iOS 7 Jailbreak Already Occurred? I Think Not...
    By ilongbored in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM
  2. iPhone 5 no sound when making calls
    By chrisoldroyd in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM
  3. My iphone is stuck in recovery mode and cant get connection to iTunes. pleas help!
    By Mario Oliveira in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 06:01 AM
  4. Check Out the Cool Card Games for Free on AppStore
    By jackwillson44 in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions