New to Apple-talk me into an iMac

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Considering an iMac but need some convincing and have some questions:

I use a computer for web surfing, email and other general stuff. I do not store large video files, very little music, no video editing etc. What I do like to do is play some games, currently Doom III. The PC I have now from 2010 is slowing down and has developed so much lag in the game it is now unplayable. It was never great, but now I can't play anymore.

I am looking at the 21.5 model and would like to know:

-Should I get the RAM upgrade?
-Is there really a noticeable difference with the 2.9?
-I like the wireless keyboard idea but I use the number keypad all the time. Is there a wireless keyboard with that feature?
-Are four USB slots enough? Currently I have a printer, mouse, keyboard, camera cable, phone (usb) cable. I'd get the wireless mouse so that is one less. I have a powered USB hub. Would that work?
-If I partition with Windows can I just copy my hard drive from the PC, or do I need to by a separate new copy of Windows?

Other thoughts?

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll answer a few questions if I can as I just bought my 27" iMac.

In the 21.5" the RAM isn't changeable by the end user, Apple would have to do it for you. The 27" can be upgraded by the end user.

Powered USB hubs work fine, but know the new iMacs use USB 3.0 connections.

For Web, email, and such the iMacs are great to have/use.

Gaming on an iMac is limited, but you can always use bootcamp to install a new copy of Windows, even up to Windows 8.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk 2

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses.

Is there a big difference between the 2.7 and 2.9?

My concern with Windows is getting the actual OS onto the Mac from my PC. It is an OEM license so it looks like I'll have to buy a retail Windows OS-correct?

Alli-I'm thinking about getting an IP5 (currently have BlackBerry) and thinking about joining the Apple ecosystem which is another push towards the iMac.

Doom III is available for the Mac so I'm good there.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
You can probably get another OEM license for Windows.

Not sure what you mean by "getting the
actual OS … from my PC". If you mean that you want to take a whole disk image of the PC and use that on the Mac, I'm not sure if that will work or not.

When you use Bootcamp, OSX creates a partition for you and then you install Windows and the set of Bootcamp drivers that you get when you are setting it up. I don't know if it would work to have Bootcamp create the partition and then use some other software to replace it with your Windows disk image. The most straight forward thing to do would be a fresh install of Windows and then install all your software.

BTW, if you are going to run the OSX version of Doom, why do you even need Windows? Is there specific Windows only software you need to run? If its only to be able to access files that you currently have on Windows, OSX has a Migration Assistant utility which can help you get your files over to the iMac.

Thanks for all the advice. This is just the kind of thing I need.

I don't need to image my PC to the Mac. I only mentioned that to get the Windows OS onto the Mac since there are a zillion Windows OS files scattered all over and I don't have an install CD for the Windows OS unless I go buy one. I don't think I have any Windows only programs that I MUST have on the Mac. I must be over-thinking this. I need to spend time at the Apple store.

Any thoughts on the processor-2.7 vs 2.9?

Thanks again.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It isn't? Have they changed something? I tossed an extra 4GB in my 27" right after I bought it. Mine is a 2011 model though, not the newest. They may have changed that.

The new iMacs have changed. The 27" model does have an access panel to allow the user to upgrade memory. The 21.5" model does not. It is available as a CTO option, or, I suppose, it can be done on a time/materials basis at Apple/certified tech. The memory slots are buried deep within the bowels of the beast... and without an access panel, it required a pretty extensive dismantling of the iMac to get to the slots. :(

With regards to a full wireless keyboard including keypad, Apple doesn’t offer one. The full keyboard w/ numeric keypad is wired only. However, I have purchased a Logitech Solar wireless keyboard w numeric keyboard and could not be happier.

Logitech.com
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - English (USA) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. This is just the kind of thing I need.

Any thoughts on the processor-2.7 vs 2.9?

Thanks again.

Since it’s not an upgrade-able thing, I’d go for the fasted processor that you can comfortably afford. It will future-proof your iMac to some extent... that being said, you’ll get as much (or more) of a bump in performance by going with a fast HD (SSD) and more RAM. But my advice is to always get as much computer as you can comfortably afford. The iMac will serve you for many years (easily outlasts a Windows PC, IMHO), so do all you can to keep it spec'ed up.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
TBH, I wouldn't get an iMac. OSX is the best operating system for laptops, of that, in my mind, there is no doubt. But if you need a desktop, and aren't overly artsy (ie no video editing), theres no more bang for your buck than a Windows PC. Spend half the money and get twice the specs

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're going to spend more money than you need to on an iMac to do the things you said you typically do on your desktop...by all means, buy what you want, but as far as the function you listed in your original post, buying an iMac for that would be like buying a Ferrari to go get groceries every few days. The iMac is a great machine, my wife has a 27" 2012 model and it's very fast and up to the task for just about anything we throw at it (she does A LOT of photo and post-production video editing)...it was also very expensive, and we wouldn't have even thought about buying it if it was only going to be used for web browsing and the occasional game night.

I agree with EauRouge and Alli 100%, if your original post reflects your use intentions for the machine, stick with a PC...unless money is no issue, but i doubt you'd be asking for opinions if that was the case, lol.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the comments, including the ones that suggest I stick with a PC.

My adult kid has MBP and raves about it.

I went to the Apple store and now I am hooked. They don't have the extra memory model in stock so I have to order it, which I will.

Time Capsule intrigues me. I have to replace my old router and have a crappy backup drive so I am trying to figure out the downside to it.

Can the time capsule wirelessly backup a PC? The folks at Apple said no but didn't seem to sure about it. The Apple site says you can backup a PC but didn't say if it has to be wired or not.

Anyone know? Any downsides to the Time Capsule?

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Update-

I got the iMac and am very happy with it. I got the 2.9 with 16 RAM. The Time Capsule arrived yesterday.

I don't miss any of my Windows programs. I thought I would but I don't. There is a learning curve with this. I am still getting used to the trackpad.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a checkbook program? There is universal dislike for Quicken (which I've used forever) with the Mac version. I am testing iBank and Moneydance but neither really impress me.

Thanks for all the help.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

Did iBank do the conversion? They say they do but you have to send them the file if you are converting from Windows. I only have a .qdf file and that is proprietary to Quicken. No one reads .qdf files except Quicken as far as I know.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73