Get a new Mac now or wait?

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel I'm in the same boat. Since I just got my 4S back In October-November-ish and then replaced my laptop with my new iPad 3 a month later, I want to fully convert to Apple. Debating on a Mac Mini, a MacBook Air, or a MacBook Pro. The Mini to replace my desktop and a laptop for myself.

Who here has a Mac Mini that is satisfied? Would it be worth it to replace my desktop?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Unless you have a compelling reason to switch from Windows to Mac, there is no reason to do it - especially given the difference in price between comparable machines.

If you do heavy video or music editing, by all means get a Mac. Otherwise, stick with your PC and save yourself the money.

If you want a Mac because you have an iPhone and an iPad...stick with your PC and save yourself the money.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Mac mini at home that I love and I use one at work. Both are early 2012 models so they don't have the most recent processor upgrades.

I mostly connect to the one at home via VNC because it is functioning as my media server. I have a 3TB FireWire drive connected to it. It basically runs iTunes for home sharing. It could easily do more but I have my retina MacBook Pro for that. Maybe overkill for a media server but not really any more expensive than a drobo or ReadyNas and the hard drives to go with them. And when I do VNC to it I have a nice familiar interface.

I use the one at work for programming work and it has plenty of power for Eclipse and Xcode. I imagine heavy photo or video editing would struggle since it doesn't have a discrete graphics card, but I have no experience with that. It doesn't have any trouble driving 2 1080p monitors though with many windows open.

Exactly. I have a Mini (from 2011) that I also use to serve iTunes content to various AppleTVs and iPads around the house. It’s connected to my office TV (the TV functions as the monitor), and it works perfectly. My media is stored on a Drobo NAS... the Mini is a very workable solution.

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have a compelling reason to switch from Windows to Mac, there is no reason to do it - especially given the difference in price between comparable machines.

If you do heavy video or music editing, by all means get a Mac. Otherwise, stick with your PC and save yourself the money.

If you want a Mac because you have an iPhone and an iPad...stick with your PC and save yourself the money.

No, I have a Mac and I'm thinking of switching a PC. I have all Microsoft at home (phone, tablet, Xbox, cloud, etc). That vizio is so good, especially for the price. And it has 10 point touch!!

Last edited:

Smithy1783

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Taking your points in isolation...

Flash storage on my rMBP does really make a difference, fast boot, loading of apps, accessing and writing video/images to and from storage - as you would expect. For me, I am surprised at home much I like the fast wake and boot. Like an iPad, almost instant waking and super fast app loading.

Storage - Flash is expensive, so if you need a lot of on board storage, then the rMBP is an expensive and limiting option that will impact as a factor that you need to decide upon in terms of compromise. Alternatives might be Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 external HDD storage. Really cheap option and still super fast read/write access speeds.

Retina Display - it is awesome and I find it a really jarring experience going to any other non-retina display (except the iPad Mini which I forgive because its just a great form factor and still totally iPad). Again, you have to decide on the balance between want versus need. The Retina display is amazing.

Windows 8 on your Mac - my first question would again be to ask whether you need it or just want it. From people that I have spoken to and seen commenting online, most Win 8 users want to drop back to Win 7. Lots of commentators mention that Win OS often are only good every other OS. Vista was awful, I found WIn 7 to be quite nice (for Win OS) - that leaves Win 8... your call - need or want?

If you use Bootcamp for Win 8 - you may need to consider the impact on your available storage as you are likely to have a pretty big partition to hold the Win OS and then some space for the inevitable and frequent updates. I say this as someone that had a problem on my old MacBook. The effect of this would be significant if you go down the route of the rMBP with SSD. It might be worth looking at your use case and consider if using a Virtual Machine solution booted from a USB 3.0 drive would be a viable solution. I used to do this with a memory stick each for XP, Win 7 and Linux.

My final bit of advice would be to say that you are never going to have a computer (particularly in the case of Apple) that is the latest and greatest for long. (My rMBP has already been updated since I bought it in Dec). You will often hear about minor upgrades (such as the recent rMBP) but the only thing to check if there are any logical / typical major changes coming in line with Apple's release schedule. Be careful of the desire to have the very latest and greatest - if a new one comes out, it is unlikely to really adversely affect your productivity and / or enjoyment. There is a risk that prices and specs might change but you simply can't let that affect you too much.

Just my twopeneth, hope it helps.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73