BTMM (Back To My Mac) is Slow

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I have a Mac at work running El Capitan. I have a Mac Mini at home running El Capitan. I am sign in to iCloud on both computers. Also, BTMM is checked off and enabled. Both computers are going through a wired connection.

I am using a Synology router at home and it is wired to my Mac Mini. At work, I am running through fiber.

Back to My Mac seems to be slow, very slow to connect to my computer at home. There is a long delay at "connecting to computer name" after I click on Share Screen. Sometimes it doesn't even connect to my computer at home. Other times, it will connect and I will see my computer desktop but I can't do anything.

Typically, I would UNcheck BTMM on both computer and recheck it. I don't want to sign out of iCloud on either computer because it is a whole process of sign out and signing in again. Usually, signing out is more of headache than it should be.

Why is BTMM so slow and how can I speed up the connection? I don't want to pay for service like LogMeIn or Screens or Team Viewer. I just want BTMM to work smoothly and not have any issues.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I have and the article uses an Airport Time Capsule or Extreme as the router. If you are not using an Apple router as suggested in the article, then it is useless. If I was using a TC or Extreme as the router then I would have not posted my problem. I am using a Synology router. I am thinking I will need to look at other software similar to BTMM.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
It funny how all of these years, Apple has released new OS X versions but BTMM is still unreliable and slow. I understand BTMM has nothing to do with OS X version. It would be helpful if there was BTMM upgrade or if BTMM was included in iCloud as a separate service from Photos, iCloud Drive, etc....

For example, I sign in to iCloud and under MY DEVICES, I click on the computer and I should be able to have remote control or have remote access from anywhere in the world. It should be that freakin easy. As long as the computer at home is on and has an IP address, regardless of the router, I should be able to have access to it.

I hope that Apple includes some version of BTMM or some better way to have remote access to computers at home. I am saying from a Mac to a Mac. I am saying straight up a Mac to a Mac. I don't want to pay extra money such as LogMeIn or Screens only to give the ability to provide remote access.

For now, I will try Google Chrome Desktop and see how this works.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711