New iCloud Account

erinboot

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
At the moment my mum and I share the same iCloud account, but now that I'm older and I have a card I want to get my own. When I've gone to sign out of my mums account from my iPhone it comes up saying "If you sign out your account, all photos in cloud photo library and iCloud drive documents and data stored in iCloud will be removed from this iPhone". Does this mean that I will loose everything on my phone, also does it mean that my mum will loose everything on her phone as I don't want that to happen.
Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, it sounded better in my head.

Thank you!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, @erinboot!

Basically what it's saying is anything that isn't on your phone, you will lose access to it. If you have things like photos, calendar, etc., try going to the iCloud account settings first and disabling them. It will then ask you if you want to keep copies on the phone or just in iCloud. Choose "keep on phone". Then you can sign out of the iCloud account, and when you add your new account, they will sync from the phone to iCloud.

According to a write-up here in iMore, you should be safe the way you're doing it but I've never done it that way: How to sign out of your iCloud account on iPhone and iPad | iMore Did it ask you the same question(s)?

Good luck!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sharing an iCloud ID is never a good idea. It causes problems. You won't be able to transfer over your apps and iTunes purchases. You'll either have to start from scratch, or continue to use your mum's iTunes ID. But only iTunes. iCloud, iMessage and Facetime should be your own.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you!
Will that mean that nothing on my mums phone will be deleted?

Correct -- as long as you're doing this on YOUR phone. She'll keep her own iCloud info and remain intact.

Also, if you are sharing an iTunes, you can keep doing that, but if you want to change iTunes/App Store as well (which is different in iOS), you can set up family sharing and keep using your apps you bought with your mum's account. See this article: http://www.imore.com/family-sharing