Deleting Apple's Stock Email App

anon(9789123)

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I use an iCloud.com email address as my personal account, but for my college and work, I use an outlook.com email because I am deeply ingrained into MS Office. So in my iPhone 6s Plus, which is my first iPhone, I use Microsoft's Outlook app as my main email app for my iCloud email and Outlook. But Apple's stock email app is taking up a lot of room, if I delete it, will I still be able to use iCloud email on my iPhone and in the Outlook app? Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Travis Perkins +JMJ+

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I also use both iCloud and two Outlook accounts on my 6s.

I use the stock email app as it generally works more reliably than the Outlook app.

I've not tried it but based on a quick Google you can't use iCloud on the Outlook app.

Also, deleting the mail app won't free up any space

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Deleting any of the stock apps only removes the app from that home menu, it does not remove the app itself, to my knowledge.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings > mail > Outlook >Toggle off mail. Do the same for iCloud. iCloud mail does work with Outlook mail. Toggling iCloud mail off on setting only stops it in the stock Mail app.
f03668ccc754ade4abd4ebdafeef8588.jpg

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Deleting any of the stock apps only removes the app from that home menu, it does not remove the app itself, to my knowledge.

Not sure what you mean by this. If you delete the stock Mail app or any other stock app, it's gone from the screen. It's deleted. To get it back, you have to go to the App Store and download it back.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by this. If you delete the stock Mail app or any other stock app, it's gone from the screen. It's deleted. To get it back, you have to go to the App Store and download it back.

Not entirely true.
When you "delete" a stock app you don't actually delete it. You just remove the icon from the home screen.

All the code etc stays on the device. When you go to the App Store and "redownload" it all you do is make the icon viewable again. Hence why they always "download" very quickly.

The reason for this is because 90% of all stock apps all reference each other and would crash without them being on the device.... even if the user cannot interact with them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely true.
When you "delete" a stock app you don't actually delete it. You just remove the icon from the home screen.

All the code etc stays on the device. When you go to the App Store and "redownload" it all you do is make the icon viewable again. Hence why they always "download" very quickly.

The reason for this is because 90% of all stock apps all reference each other and would crash without them being on the device.... even if the user cannot interact with them.

Yeah, that's right. It kind of defeats the purpose of "deleting" them. Most do so to save space.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
But Apple's stock email app is taking up a lot of room

What do you mean by this? Are you referring to what you see when you go to Settings > General > Storage and iCloud Usage? That shows the amount of storage the contents (messages, attachments, etc.) of the Mail app are taking up, not the app itself. The Mail app will take up the same amount of space whether or not you "delete" it. As explained in an earlier post, when you "delete" any of the stock iOS apps, you're not deleting them, just removing the icon from your home screen.

If you want to free up some of the space that is being used up by Mail, consider deleting messages from your mailboxes and emptying your Trash.

Personally, I have zero items in my iCloud email account yet my phone tells me that Mail is using up almost 5MB of space.

If you're stressing out over the handful of MB taken up by the Mail app, you really should look elsewhere to try and free up space; photos, videos, music and apps / games can take up waaaaaay more space compared to your emails.

Last edited: