Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default Can't setup two factor authentication - iPhone / iPad / Mac - no option to enable

Have an iPhone 6S+ and when I go to Settings --> iCloud --> Account --> Password & Security and there is no option for 2FA. Never had set up two-step verification on the the account.

Same as on the iPad. Both devices are running iOS 10.

On the Mac - running macOS Sierra - when I try to set up 2FA via the iCloud settings, I get this error: "2FA is not available for your Apple ID at this time."

Any thoughts out there on why this is occurring? I have searched a bit and can't find any definitive answers I haven't already tried. I have rebooted the phone and have also signed out of iCloud on the phone and signed back in. Still nothing.

Thanks, y'all!
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Can't setup two factor authentication - iPhone / iPad / Mac - no option to enable

Oh -- forgot to mention - I have never had two step enabled on this iCloud account.
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Can't setup two factor authentication - iPhone / iPad / Mac - no option to enable

Same thing for me, I can't figure it out.

Try setting up two steps verification or 2fa as you call it via http://appleid.apple.com. That should work.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Nanite

So, I am on the phone with Apple support -- I am being told that 2FA has NOT been rolled out to all Apple IDs at this time. Kind of ludicrous there is NOTHING about this on Apple's support pages regarding 2FA.

I have been told I just have to check back on the Mac and iOS devices every couple of days or so. Stupid.