Problem with large Apple Photo Library - looking for a solution

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a rather large photo library (over 75,000 photos). They are on my iMac in a Lightroom library (hate Apple for discontinuing Aperture but that is another story). My wife and I also share an iCloud Photo Library using the Photo app on two iMacs, two iPhones and two iPad Mini which has about 3500 photos (some taken with the devices, some saved from Facebook and some that I added). But she is always complaining (OK - commenting) that she wants more of our older photos in her Photos library on her iMac. But if I add let's say 20,000 of the family/party/travel photos to her Photos library, all those photos will also be added to Photos on our iPhones and iPads. And even using the Optimize option in settings, I am sure that it will still take up quite a lot of space on the devices because the current Photos app with as I said about 3500 photos takes up 6.6GB of memory.
The question is - aside from turning OFF iCloud Photo Library in Photos on her iMac (really don't want to do that because then all the new photos won't be sent to her computer), what are my other options?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Open a Microsoft OneDrive account (or any other cloud storage account), and then upload the older pics to it. Afterwards, you can share a link to those pics to be viewed without them downloading to any devices unless they choose to do so.

swandy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
That would work BUT (1) my better half is not the most computer literate person and more importantly (2) she loves the way that the Photos app is integrated with the MacOS - easy to send pics via Facebook, Messages and email. So while that would work - it probably will not work for her. Thanks anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro