Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default ICloud Photos take forever to open

I use icloud for my photos. I have my iphone 6s+ set to optimize locally and store the originals on icloud. Seems to work great, no problem. I have over 35,000 photos.
    However, if I try to open an image and especially a video that is not stored locally, it takes forever to load it from icloud. Sometime it never loads. I can wait 10 minutes, and then I just give up.

Any ideas how to get this working?
  2. Best Answer

It all depends on your internet speed. The stronger your connection the faster it will load.

Default Re: ICloud Photos take forever to open

It all depends on your internet speed. The stronger your connection the faster it will load.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

That has nothing to do with it. Thanks for your reply, but that has nothing to do with it.
    I have fiber to my house 1ith 1GB symetrical connection. I don't think that's the issue.
    iMore Guru

Sometimes that happens to me too, hence why I prefer Google Photos. That's why I store my photos and videos to both iCloud and Google Photos
    iMore Newbie

iCloud Photos is a junk service, just could never make it work as expected.... My suggestion is to find alternatives and sometime on the future give it another try, that's what I did: I GIVE UP! iCloud Photo Library "Download and Keep Originals" not FULLY working
    iMore Nanite

Depends on the specific situation. Prerequisites would be sufficient storage on device, given the photos/videos are on iCloud I assume you have plenty of storage there. If you have taken all of those photos / videos from THAT device then you should have the original quality files on that device. If you have restored from icloud backup ( Like I just did on 7 ) you get your photos and videos but instead of the original full quality size you have a "thumbnail" if you will. I have literally had to scroll through 800 videos on my home WiFi and wait for each on to download the full quality version. It Sucks I know.