iCloud or Dropbox..?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I currently use Dropbox for all my photos (9k+) and have it set up on both my phone and my wife's phone. Photo's are automatically uploaded to one Dropbox account and we can pick and choose which ones to keep and create folders for vacations, concerts...etc. Dropbox is currently about $14 a month (including the one year file deletion back up) for 1tb of storage. I see additional iCloud storage is very comparable in price. My question is would it be worth switching over to iCloud and moving all my photos to that service? Would it be easy to move all my photos to iCloud the way they are currently organized into separate folders? I currently can access photo's & folders on my PC via Dropbox. Can this also be easily done using iCloud? Just not sure if making the switch is worth it. Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're already used to manipulating pics via Dropbox, then I recommend you keep using it. iCloud is more of a sync service than a storage service and that could cause problem for some people, especially when they want to delete a pic from one device while wanting to keep it on another.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
If you're already used to manipulating pics via Dropbox, then I recommend you keep using it. iCloud is more of a sync service than a storage service and that could cause problem for some people, especially when they want to delete a pic from one device while wanting to keep it on another.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm leaning towards. Just liked the thought of keeping things in the Apple Eco system.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Like others have said, if you haven't already started to use iCloud for photos, carry on with Dropbox (alternatively even OneDrive or Box).
The way iCloud handles photos is a totally different beast. Even more so, if you're like me, and like all your photos in folders (with the name of the trip\event) and organized by event, versus year and month. UGH!

RoCutler

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Dropbox for ephemeral content and things I want to share with people.

iCloud for Photos, backups and Document transfer between Macs and iOS for personal content.

I'm sure I'm making a Rod for one's own back.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I use iCloud and OneDrive together. I copy over my iCloud photos and videos to my OneDrive weekly to help stay below the 5GB availability.

Being a Office 365 subscriber, I have over a 1TB of cloud space.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2