Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

17 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Question iCloud Photo Library and iPhone

Hi everyone,

First of all, i want to say sorry for my english, i'm french canadian and not perfectly bilingual.

1 week ago , i decide to upload all my photo and video library on my iMac (7200 photos and 275 videos) to keep a backup on iCloud. So, i subscribe to the 50GB plan and "activate" iCloud Photo Library on my iMac.

Now, the problem...on my iPhone 6+ (16GB only), iCloud photo library take up to 6GB of storage and i have under 1GB of free space.

My question, is there a way to keep all my photos and videos on iCloud and not keeping an "optimise" version on my iPhone ?

I'm on my way to transfer all photos and videos on google photos but i want to know before if i can do something with this problem.

thanks a lot !!

Default Re: iCloud Photo Library and iPhone

The answer is no. iCloud is more of a sync service than it is a storage service. With the exception of disabling iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream, you cannot have photos in iCloud and not have them on your device.

Default iCloud Photo Library and iPhone

What you need is to upload photos to apps like Box and Dropbox. Then delete from the camera roll.
    iCloud is not a storage solution per se. It's a back up option. It backs up what is currently on your device.