iCloud backup reporting success. Lying.

melvynadam

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been using an iPad 3 for a long time. I have just bought an iPad Air 2. I have both devices on my desk at the moment and was planning to migrate to the new device. The old iPad has been backing up to iCloud without incident for many months. Currently it reports "Last Backup: 12:52" which is two and a half hours ago.

On my new iPad in Settings > iCloud > [MyID] > Devices > [OldiPadDeviceName], it shows me "Latest Backup September 16, 2015 at 20:45".

So it seems that my iPad hasn't been backing up for almost two months but it has been reporting success all of that time. The ultimate sin for a backup program is a false positive on the result of the entire backup operation!

Can anyone suggest the correct way forward? How can I reliably migrate my old iPad's settings, apps, and data to the new one? And how can we TEST the verification we get from iCloud backups? I no longer have any faith that my iPhone is backing up - how would I know?!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings→ General→ Storage & iCloud→ "Manage Storage" under the iCloud option→ Backup and then check the date next to "Latest Backup" to see if it is accurate.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox