Photos in the Cloud

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
To my surprise, when I turned on iCloud for Photos, I was told I have about 79GB of pictures on my computer (I didn't think I had anywhere near that many pictures) and I would therefore have to jump to the 200GB $4 / month tier. I know in the big scheme of things $4 per month is not very much, but when flickr gives me 1TB for free, Dropbox several hundred GB for free and even OneDrive close to those numbers for free, I am hard pressed to justify the $4 / month in perpetuity. It would be great to have full sync of all edits etc across platforms but I think the iCloud prices are just gouging when compared to the market.

Just my $.02

Thx

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I get your point, but . . . 200 GB for $4; I would not call that pricey. And the convenience factor alone makes it a deal.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
All depends in what you get, what you pay for.

Great article speaking about each service and pro's and con's - Some have no problem managing multiple apps for additional storage and lack of features.

http://cameras.reviewed.com/features/14-foolproof-ways-to-keep-your-photos-safe-in-the-cloud

Flickr - no RAW support at all, and photo upload and organization tools are woefully limited. The new Camera Roll feature chronologically organizes your photos, and there's a new Flickr Uploadr for Mac, but both are still in public beta. But when you get 1 TB for free, I guess you can't really complain.

Dropbox -
the only real downside is Dropbox's limited storage tiers. You either get 5 GB free, or have to pay $9 per month for 1 TB. Competitors like Apple and Google offer far more varied tiers and price points.

iCloud - The service automatically uploads all of your new photos, includes non-destructive editing tools, and even supports RAW files and video.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. You do get what you pay for. Flickr and Dropbox are probably better characterized as "back up / repositories", i.e. a place to store your pictures even though they can technically be pulled down from various platforms.

I can imagine that once you start using the iCloud service, the seamless integration across all platforms and the ability to edit a picture on one device and then have the applied to that picture residing on all other devices makes picture management just that much easier. $4 / month may be a small price to pay for that convenience but like most things, I am working on convincing myself.

I guess if I decide after a month or 2 that I don't feel I am getting value add, I can just turn it off?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. You do get what you pay for. Flickr and Dropbox are probably better characterized as "back up / repositories", i.e. a place to store your pictures even though they can technically be pulled down from various platforms.

I can imagine that once you start using the iCloud service, the seamless integration across all platforms and the ability to edit a picture on one device and then have the applied to that picture residing on all other devices makes picture management just that much easier. $4 / month may be a small price to pay for that convenience but like most things, I am working on convincing myself.

I guess if I decide after a month or 2 that I don't feel I am getting value add, I can just turn it off?

Yup you can turn it off when ever needed. Choose what you want on the cloud. If you upgraded to a bigger plan you can always downgrade to the free 5GB. But remember you will have to choose what is turn on or off, also related to back ups